• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do I train to swim longer distances underwater?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Not that I know of.
What you really need for extending underwaqter distance is a good buddy who will pay sufficient attention as you train

If you have never learned to do long relaxed breath holds then yes, doing tables will train you to get used to breath holding. But for distance swimming underwater you need to learn finning and proper form and you can only learn that in the water

Reactions: LightningGShep
If you have never learned to do long relaxed breath holds then yes, doing tables will train you to get used to breath holding. But for distance swimming underwater you need to learn finning and proper form and you can only learn that in the water
I can hold my breath for 3 mins and 36 secs underwater

I can hold my breath for 3 mins and 36 secs underwater. Hoping to extend it since my way of training works for me

Hi LightningGShep

Kicking like on the video knees not bended and head aligned with the body.

But she should improve her buoyancy to stay horizontal
A weight belt on the hips and a neck weight to be in neutral buoyancy

And a very good summarize

Reactions: Retto
If you can hold your breath that long then you should be able to learn to swim 50 meters underwater. But first, you MUST have a spotter - you can pass out in seconds with little or no warning when doing dynamics. It's a bit different than with statics where you can tell when the end is coming (tunnel vission ringing in ears). This not an area you want to take chances with.
To do dynamics efficiently you need to be neutrally buoyant so a weight belt will help. Being streamlined also helps, either a wetsuit or tight swimwear (no baggy board shorts). And finally you need good stroke technique which comes from watching videos and practice - use a gopro to check your progress.

Hi LightningGShep

Please look at my #4 from https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/the-safety-of-short-dives-in-shallow-water.117055/

DYN 50m it’s done in less that 1min without forcing.

Learn to turn slowly :banghead: to avoid wasting energy … and oxygen

J Campbell said ‘Use a go pro’… Sony is not bad also ;)

Here below what I filmed ( not with my last Sony, in the 50m swim pool of the European club) to show to the colleagues.
CEAP February2016

And a buddy who can recognize, LMC and BO and knows the way to rescue and deliver Oxygen is must.

DNF is my favorite way to train and helps find my strengths, weaknesses, what works and doesn't in a very controlled and repeatable environment. This helps a lot getting in the zone for comfort and dialing in an efficient technique. For me, I have very strong CO2 contractions which make it far to uncomfortable to keep going before I run low on O2. I also notice acid buildup in the legs happens around the same time as O2 is getting low. You may find zero progress for months and have to experiment to find what works. Tables and trying to increase distances got me no where, practicing doing 25m with short recovery has been working great and got me to 50m recently without struggling. Switching from full breath to half breath holds was very interesting in how it affected relaxation, CO2 reaction and less buoyancy made gliding a sinch.

DNF is my favorite way to train and helps find my strengths, weaknesses, what works and doesn't in a very controlled and repeatable environment. This helps a lot getting in the zone for comfort and dialing in an efficient technique. For me, I have very strong CO2 contractions which make it far to uncomfortable to keep going before I run low on O2. I also notice acid buildup in the legs happens around the same time as O2 is getting low. You may find zero progress for months and have to experiment to find what works. Tables and trying to increase distances got me no where, practicing doing 25m with short recovery has been working great and got me to 50m recently without struggling. Switching from full breath to half breath holds was very interesting in how it affected relaxation, CO2 reaction and less buoyancy made gliding a sinch.
What's DNF?

That is correct, you should definitely try both. I switched to DNF to switch things up and get a more full body movement in the water. For me, fins can sometimes make it feel like I am just motoring down the lane but relaxation is really easy. Fins or not isn't going to make you hold you breath longer, but both techniques will help improve different areas be it relaxation or automating your form/technique. Notice in some videos the fins are high to drive the buoyant body down, try doing half breath, weight or both. I do this to improve my relaxation and reaction to CO2 while maintaining moderate comfort instead getting high CO2 ~ 50m down the pool where my heart rate is getting high and stress hits hard and fast. If you do not have strong diaphragm contractions I am envious as it is my main weakness.

That is correct, you should definitely try both. I switched to DNF to switch things up and get a more full body movement in the water. For me, fins can sometimes make it feel like I am just motoring down the lane but relaxation is really easy. Fins or not isn't going to make you hold you breath longer, but both techniques will help improve different areas be it relaxation or automating your form/technique. Notice in some videos the fins are high to drive the buoyant body down, try doing half breath, weight or both. I do this to improve my relaxation and reaction to CO2 while maintaining moderate comfort instead getting high CO2 ~ 50m down the pool where my heart rate is getting high and stress hits hard and fast. If you do not have strong diaphragm contractions I am envious as it is my main weakness.
I just never had a chance to do pool training yet so I had doing a lot of training on land to increase my breath hold underwater

I am not used to the CO2 buildup to get contractions underwater so I am doing underwater training at home to get myself used to it

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT