• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you carry your pneumatic guns?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

zachw

Mar 27, 2021
With a band gun you can load the spear and leave the bands slack. Since there is no way to do this with a pneumatic how do you carry yours? Does anyone have a good solution for transporting a rigged gun?

I'm thinking of getting a muzzle bungee with a QR for the shooting line and something like a pool noodle to stick the spear in and wrap the line around.

I place the spear alongside the tank with the tip pointed to the front and the floppers slightly forwards of the muzzle and then whip the shooting line in a rough spiral fashion around the spear and tank. Holding the rear handle gun and its spear at the middle with one hand which also traps the wrapped line against the tank. This allows you to walk with the gun along the shoreline without tripping on the shooting line or when entering or leaving the shallows.

I always wear spearfishing gloves made of black fabric which are basically gardening gloves which help with gripping the slippery when wet gun.

One gun that makes carrying the spear slightly easier is the Scubapro "Magnum" which has plastic clips mounted on the tank that hold the spear, but the shooting line is still wrapped on the tank. These guns were usually supplied with the clips from new and as they don't interfere with aiming most users left them on the gun.
grip rear view R.jpg
muzzles R.jpg

As a matter of interest there is a 70 cm Magnum for sale right now, but no spear or pump. The spear is a Mares or Salvimar, but the gun uses a larger bore hand pump and neither Mares nor Salvimar will fit without an adaptor being made.

I place the spear alongside the tank with the tip pointed to the front and the floppers slightly forwards of the muzzle and then whip the shooting line in a rough spiral fashion around the spear and tank. Holding the rear handle gun and its spear at the middle with one hand which also traps the wrapped line against the tank. This allows you to walk with the gun along the shoreline without tripping on the shooting line or when entering or leaving the shallows.

I always wear spearfishing gloves made of black fabric which are basically gardening gloves which help with gripping the slippery when wet gun.
That's a pretty easy way to do it. How about if you were on a boat or somewhere you had to stow the gun? I guess you could use straps or rubber bands.

On a small boat things tend to jiggle and move around, so I remove the spear from the gun by unscrewing the spear tip and pulling the line slide off. That way the shaft does not rub on the gun as the boat bounces on the surface chop. The shooting line is wrapped end to end on the gun and the spears have their own travel bag, you need more than one. A rubber chair leg foot is pressed over the sharp tip or you can use a piece of scrap Styrofoam jammed on the end. Integral tip shafts cannot be easily separated from the shooting line, so you remove the shooting line from the gun and wrap it around the spear.

For strapping the spear onto the gun you could use something like this as they are both reusable and stretchy. Plus no metal hooks or buckles.
Amazon product

Received my new gun yesterday and plotted out a decent solution for those with access to a 3d printer...

Printed out these clips in PETG, plenty tough and snap on nicely:

Attachments

• IMG_20211019_203037.jpg
    IMG_20211019_203037.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 280
They look pretty good. You could link them together with a cord so that you only have to hold onto one so as not to drop them. At one time Mares included similar looking clips as part of the packaging which had a snap in section for the spear and another for the hand pump. The "Mirage" had three snap in sections, one for the hand pump and two for the 7 mm and 8 mm shafts which were supplied with the gun. These being packaging items they were usually thrown away, although I have seen them with the other parts hacked off leaving just the one for retaining the spear. Note in this photo the wrong one has been removed!
MEDISTEN CR9A.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FrostyToes
I have indeed glued a string between the clips! That was just a finger cot over the muzzle. Printed out a proper cap for the muzzle AND pump last night. Trying my best to keep this thing mint for resale just in case Cressi market the revised, side mounted line-release version already next year...
IMG_20211021_150733.jpg

Sorry to bring up an old thread but the site wont let me message FrostyToes, hoping to get a copy of the 3d file

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT