• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you do Freshwater spearfising?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cingene

Will Dive for Food
Mar 4, 2003
I have that a few of you spearos out there have been spearfishing on freshwater, how do you start such a venture(special permits, finding good spearfishing sites, who to ask for informantion, etc.)? I live in Oakley California and my backyard is this big body of freshwater that I want to explore. Any help from you "Freshies" would be appreciated greatly.:D

Cingene

The first thing I would do is check with these folks http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ and see if freshwater spearfishing is legal in your state. I think I remember it being legal in certain areas of the state and for certain species, but I'm not sure. I was more into bass fishing when I lived there.

Listen to spearslinger....he is very wise.

Freshwater spearing regulations (in the U.S.) vary from state to state. In Wisconsin (Wesconsin to you Cali-types), we can kill 'rough' fish and 'pan' fish, but 'game' fish are off limits. No special license is needed here; just a regular fishing license. And even within our state, certain counties and waterbodies are out of bounds. So, in short, get a set of state regulations and double check it before you jump into each lake/quarry/resevoir/etc. If you get caught breaking any laws by the wardens, you can kiss your gear goodbye.

.....also, get a short gun :eek: .

Ted

You really need to cross check the info you get about spearfishing in certain bodies of fesh water.
Most of my spearfishing is done in fresh water and when I got started I contacted the head game warden for northern part of my state. I told him where I planned to spearfish and he said I was legal as long as I had basic fishing licenses and as long I shot non game fish. Well two weeks ago I was stopped by a Army corp of Engineers ranger and he asked me if I was planning take the gun with me diving. To make long story short I found out that all Army corp. run lakes are off limits to spearfishing or bow hunting and this over rides the state laws of that body of fresh water. He was nice about it and told me next time keep it in the car but he did say I was lucky because most of the young Ranger would have taken the gun out my hands put a 200 fine in it's place no question asked.

I would check and make sure that your not getting into a simialar situation. I didn't tell him that I'd been spearing in the lake for over a year.

happy hunting

BladeRunner OUT

Yes, you can Fresh water spearfishing!

California Department of Fish and Game

From the dfg website ; §2.30. Spearfishing.
Spearfishing is permitted only in:
(a) The Colorado River District for carp, tilapia, goldfish and mullet, all year.
(b) The Valley District for carp, tilapia, goldfish, western sucker, Sacramento blackfish, hardhead,
Sacramento pikeminnow and lamprey, from May 1 through September 15, except that no spearfishing is
permitted in:
(1) Shasta and Tehama counties (see Section 2.12).
(2) Butte Creek (Butte Co.).P
(3) Feather River below Oroville Dam (Butte Co.).

Oakley is Valley district. I spearfish there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hello spearo buddy,
I spearfish in Valley District, Franks Truck, I guess. I fish only for carp at this moment. I am novice in spearfishing and love it a lot.

The Valley District for carp, tilapia, goldfish, western sucker, Sacramento blackfish, hardhead,
Sacramento pikeminnow and lamprey, from May 1 through September 15
Posted via Mobile Device

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT