• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you get in to Free diving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sharky

Deeper Blue Beer Taster
Oct 19, 2002
Ok I am new to this so please bare with me:confused:

The question is how do you get into free diving. How do you train for such a sport. What kind of back up do you need.Do you just go out on your own or do you buddy up.

I my self is an air breather, I,ve been at it for two years, but I can't help but be very impressed by these people that just sit at the surface for 10 minutes and then just dive to the bottom on one lung of air and then smile at you on the way back up, as I just sit there with all this kit on.:eek:

How do you do it, any help.

Reactions: Pekka
Wellcome Sharky!
How to get into freediving..you already have if you admire people who just dive to the bottom with lungfull of air... Buddy will keep you interested for longer..and alive too:) You already have fins and a mask....there you go, just leave the "kit" on the beach and dive.. that's a good start..and browsing through these forums too! there are such a GREAT peaople here that have helped me out and many others! so you are in the right place for some further advice...I suggest that you read through some of the older threads... because we beginners tend to ask the same questions over and over again...:D Wellcome!
Pekka
P.S. If you happen to visit Exeter anytime soon just send me mail and we'll go diving!

Hi Sharky , happy to hear you are interested ...:cool:
Don't worry too much about depth and times at this stage , just get in and enjoy . Your body will need some time to adapt to apnea and you will certainly improve with practice . As Pekka mentioned , any questions you may have will most likely be available here .

Thanks for the info, but have now run in to a brick wall:head
The future wife(soon to be her in doors) has found out about it and has gone mad :naughty
"Diving with air is one thing, but on a lung full your mad and there is no way you are getting involved":ko
so as you can tell she was not happy bunny:waterwork
But I will try to bring her round may be!!!:martial

hi sharky

if your wife (to be) is interested in what these ´mad´people are really doing i´ll welcome her to the forum and i´m sure that there will be many guys/girls here to answer any of her questions and maybe display the sport in a different light.

that doesn´t mean though that there aren´t some ´mad´people here.:D :D

warmest regards

roland

:cool:

Hello people,

I have only just recently joined your forums, well today actually. I'm new to freediving and reading as much as I can around the subject. I would love to get involved, as it seems like a very laid back and positive sport to get into and it seems that there are plenty of people around who would like to help newbies, which is a welcome change from most sports.
I am living in Norfolk, England and would like to know of somewhere to learn properly and safely with people who understand freediving. I seem to spend the majority of my time when i'm in the sea or pool, just diving a few metres down to escape from it all as it is just so relaxing down there, so I think it's about time to do it properly...

right, i'm sorry if i've bored you to death allready... but i'm sure there will be more..

Cheers people,
Chris

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT