• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you wrap yer shooting line?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

roobyracks

Oct 27, 2003
This is one of those "always wondered, but was afraid to ask" questions. Actually, being a newbie I have no shame...

I use a Riffe Metaltech #2 with two wraps of shooting line, and was thinking that there are many ways to wrap it. I take the line from the shaft, make the first loop over the top of the line release, then around the right side of the front hook of the gun, and then hook the last loop back onto the line release. Potential problem is that the line nearest the shaft ends up underneath the second wrap on the line release. (did you get that? I actually had to go back to my gun to write this...)

After thinking about it, maybe it would be smarter to wrap the bungie side first so that the line nearest the shaft will be on the on the outside of the line release, and thus free to whip out of the way as the spear goes.

If I were an engineer, I'd try to do a diagram, but hope this question makes sense. I've tried it a few ways, and don't seem to notice a difference. Once in a while the bands end up twisted in the line, and I can't explain why.

Either this is a question that you veterans may have differing opinions about, or I am being a weenie for thinking about it too much, let me know either way.

Awaiting your pearls of wisdom...

wrap from the shaft up to the line pin on the leftside of the muzzle, over the shaft into the channel on the right side and then down to the line release and back up to the line anchor on the bottom of the stock. The number of wraps from there depend on your setup. Hope this helps.

It's good to hear that this bothers some one else, too. In all honesty, I never heard of a problem in 50 years but, it always seemed better to bring both lines back and do a double wrap of the release and then finish by hooking the loop over the front guide. I also made sure the spear side of the doubled line was on the outside and that the wrap was top to bottom. Some of us get carried away with details.
Aloha
Bill

I'm dum but not dat dum...

Thanks for the input, o wise ones. Rigdivr, to clarify, I know about looping the line around the left front muzzle pin and across the shaft to the channel on the right. My question was what to do afterwards. Sounds like it doesn't make a difference, but maybe we could take a poll on how folks wrap their lines.

Hi Rooby,

I've tried every variation, and never saw any difference (mind you, I used a very short gun, with only two wraps), so I just used the method easiest for me. [After I set the line in the groove on the front of the stock] I loop the mono around the rear line-release from the bottom to the top. This seems to keep better tension and angle to the front groove (eg. it's less likely to slip off that groove). Then I go around the front ss line-attachment from right to left. Finally I take the final wrap and pop it over the rear line release. I'm very finicky about this part. I have to have my length perfect so that the bungie gives me the tiniest bit of tug. This keep the mono secure, without giving me a wrestling match to secure it to the release (important for those times when my hands have lost dexterity due to cold temps).

When the gun is fired, the line 'pops' off the release and immediately goes slack. Since there is never any overlap (knot potential) with any of the variations, I can't see how any method could be better than another. Maybe it's a more sensitive situation for blue-water cannons.

not saying you were dumb but you asked how to wrap a riffe and I took you through it beginning to end. That twist will not make any difference when you shoot...

It shouldn't matter which end is on top or bottom of the wrap since as soon as the shaft passes by the line release or you pull the trigger(depends on the gun) the release mech lets the line go. Therefore, for a split second the line is just being held by spring tension of the release or is left freefloating. On any properly working mech the slightest pull will release the line. If a knot was put in during loading there shouldn't be a problem w/ the release. Things will just happen in reverse(at a very high speed). So bottom line it doesn't matter. I wrap from the shaft out to the end of the shooting line. hope this helps.
Jay

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT