• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How does one extend bottom time?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fuzz

Hawaiian transplant...
Sep 9, 2002
Sorry for such a vague question......

I've always had to work hard to improve my bottom time(spearfishing)..... and it has never been close to what I wanted.

How does one really extend their bottom time? Exercises and dry apnea practice helps, but physiologically, my progress seems to inch on by.

Diving has always been a part of my life, but unfortunately, my lungs seem to be the least developed of my fellow divers.

When one increases their apnea times, is it primarily due to increased conditioning, stretching their lung capacity, or better control of their bodily processes? I know it's a combination, but wondering which is most effective and what I should work on most.

Relaxation is nice, but when diving in surge, not always a viable option :(

Aloha Fuzz
Not long ago, there was a thread about 10K times and apnea. Eric F made a comment about good runners and awesome statics. If you're talking 'bottom time' as in waiting to ambush fish, I think this is more like static. It's also the most dangerous way to dive. Build up to one hour per day, six days per week of running, cycling or swimming, at 75% of max heart rate, and see if your times don't improve. The advantage of this plan is, you will get many benefits even if it doesn't make you a better diver.
Bill

too much work

I too am interested in ways to improve my bottom time but I'm not very loyal when it comes to a work out routine. Maybe that's my first step because as you said, even if the diving is not improved, there are other benefits.
What about other apnea training tools or workout routines?

One of the reasons I asked is that I've seen some rather hefty guys diving who don't look like they could finish a run to the 7-11 down the street for a slurpie........ yet can drop down with the grace of a harbor seal & stay down there quite a bit.

I'd say their 10k times would be in the vicinity of 2 hours :D

hi fuzz

what i found to be most helpfull is to train regularly. that´s probably stating the obvious but here´s an example:

after a 3 month divetrip in thailand i could easily do statics of 5-5:20, hangtimes at 20m of 1 min, dynamis of up to 2 min.

then i had a break of 3 months where i didn´t do any training.

after that break i spent a month in egypt, ed sea and couldn´t do anything. my statics were just 3 min, hangs at 20 m not even 10 sec and dynamics of 1:15.

the last 2 months, since i´m back from egypt i regularly do dry statics (maybe twice a week) and i jog a bit or go to the pool. now my statics increased even to 5:46 (pb) and my dynamics have stayed the same.

of course that´s not scientifiv at all but to me it just shows that even a little bit of training will keep you on your level. and then when getting back to regular diving you´ll improve from there.
í´m rather new to freediving so my learning curve is probably still high (i hope) and i don´t know how that would relate to a seasoned (no insult :)) freediver.

it´s probably just motivation to get to the next level.

cheers

roland

:cool:

Being a bit of a hefty guy myself... six foot three and 290 pounds. I have to admit my 10k time would be terrible, but I don't feel that is the proper way to assess my physical condition.

As I've never attempted a 10k I'm sure the muscle co-ordination, and other things which contribute to efficiency in that sport would be lacking.

However, since I spent my misguided youth 2 to 3 hours a day in the pool during which time I developed some reasonable skill at swimming. I also developed a reasonably fit cardiovascular system.

In conclusion I don't feel that 10k times are an indication of positive aerobic performance unless you train specifically for the 10k. However, I do believe positive cardiovascular health is important, some people just have a different way of training for it.

I know what you mean man, I have heard of those guys who smoke 2 packs a day and can then beat you in a 10K run. Physiology is not an exact science. Your body adapts to its shortcomings or what not. I smoked for nearly 8 years and last time (way before I knew anything about freediving and packing) I went in for my diving physical, my lung volume was 5.5 liters. I am certain that I can pack another liter in there. I am still a newbie, and this sport coupled with my background as a commercial diver leads me to draw my conclusions that physiology is not an exact science. Pipin Ferreras, the wonderful, karma giving folks of this board, Martin Stepanik, Tanya Streeter, and all of these other guru/supermen (and women) defy anything ever written anywhere about the human body. We are writing the new book! Every one of us, whether we're breaking records or breaking our personal goals, eventually, will break a scientific barrier once thought unbreakable. No matter how many people did it before you, you are added to the list of people who surpass what was once thought impossible.

TMcKee

I'm trying to hype myself up for a 4 minute static attempt in a week or so.

Well said...

I would also hazard a geuss that diferrent physiology likely benefits different disciplines. In Calgary I tend to have one of the longer dynamic swims (I won't say how much cause its too meager), but my static time is awful. Also I seem to have no problem with depth.

The sport seems to be dependant on too many interconnected factors to point at one as the primary performance indicator.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT