• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

how does this plan sound?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I think what Murat is trying to explain is : rubber actual output as delivered to a shaft launch speed its not totaly equal to harder rubber means faster shaft speed. Some rubbers maybe more "snappy" than others, so it shrink back faster and thus output a good shaft speed.

This can only be proven by a chronograph........unfortunately, cause more power is only true if shaft speed is faster.
Since underwater chronography is not common, it might be a safe bet to assume that the harder to load rubber will give better power output.

However, I do believe that there could be a very strong possibility that among so many brands available, there must be some rubber more "snappy' than others even though both are measured at the SAME rubber pressure when strecth to the typical 300%, the commonly used figure.

Let Iya make some money next year selling some hot boat, I will then make or buy and modified a chronograph for underwater use. This is a must for moron like me......:head

I used to have a fire arm chronograph to measure my airgun pellet speed cause I was a master tuner for my friends and I was not comfortable not knowing the maximum potential of my precision airguns.

The lesson I learnt after firing more than 20,000 rounds passed the chronograph speed sensors, are very interesting. The only airgun propulsion device I can compare to a speargun is the spring ( spring powered airguns ) against a rubber of a speargun.
The spring relies on twisting motion of the metal itself, whereas the rubber relies on stretch of the rubber material.

Short of a chronograph, my old test were using telephone books/yellow pages to tell penetration cause it is cheap and has at least 1000 pages. However, the angle of the shot matters a great deal on penetration result, perhaps some +-25 pages of a typical 800 pages penetration (double side pages actualy ). Don't talk about the pellet/bullet (4.5mm/0.177 cal ) shape, it matters a greater deal on penetration, just like a spearhead.

Until I own a chrono, telephone books were the only way. On my spring powered airgun, I imported springs from US and UK for use and learnt that extra cocking effort, which is equivalent to rubber pull effort in a speargun and the amount of extra recoil was not a 100% prove of which the gun will shoot faster pellet. Only the chrono can tell the difference cause I was looking at only 10-15% power difference. The metal spring science and rubber science maybe very different but for arguement sake, a chronograph is a must for rubber manufacturer to use to actual see the power potential of the rubber material in real time.

If you are consistently succesful shooting 3mm or more deeper into a reference wood target using one rubber over the other from the same distance, using the same shaft and spearhead from the same gun with the same shooting line set up and 100% everything the same except the rubbers, this then speaks for itself.

And why have not the speargun manfacturers chrono their shaft speed..........SIMPLE, cause it ain't me owning those speargun factories.;)

Originally posted by andrsn

Murat,

My mean green bands are quite a bit harder to load on my C3x riffe than my old riffe bands. Please don't tell me that I don't have greater power delivery to my spear than i do with other "easier to load bands". :naughty In fact the power of the bands were so great that I stepped down to 2 bands instead of 3 and still had greater power/punch than 3 of the equivalent riffe bands.

HSD's page is down(under renovation) so I can't find what Mark wrote. I think he's just trying to prove a point. Maybe he's saying that there are some harder to load bands that don't have a high enough modulus characteristic, therefore not able to deliver the "additional" energy you thought you had because of the strain you put in to load them. Hmm :confused:

Murat, your points are valid and I appreciate the way you pose thoughts w/o getting defensive in your argument. Stay "open-minded" and continue your quest at becoming a great hunter. :cool:

Anderson

Oh man, We all know (at leat me) Mean Grean bands are #1 quality bands.I just talking about Hell to load bands like RA.I mean there is a limit in harder to load per power level ratio.So from further to the certain point it will not deliver more power to the shaft and it cause the extra recoil that comes from it's extra extra hard to load bands.Everone knows you can't use the bands which holds your underpants for spearing.:D

Now i can start to read IYA's post
:D

Originally posted by Murat
Well, i just belive only the good speros.On the other hand there a few respected speros saying this.So this shouldn't be totally nonsense.So you see i am not the snotty child..... :t [/B]

No one called you anything Murat...ease up. You know the joking nature of this board. But as far as believing what others tell you, remember, opinions are like a**holes...everyone has one but most of them stink!:D

Originally posted by Iyadiver
I think what Murat is trying to explain is : rubber actual output as delivered to a shaft launch speed its not totaly equal to harder rubber means faster shaft speed. Some rubbers maybe more "snappy" than others, so it shrink back faster and thus output a good shaft speed.

;) ;) ;)

Originally posted by rigdvr

No one called you anything Murat...ease up. You know the joking nature of this board. But as far as believing what others tell you, remember, opinions are like a**holes...everyone has one but most of them stink!:D

Yea may be i am bit over reacted but only dump asses belives everything that they heard or read.I am not one of them.;) No aggresion...Generally i am not that touchy even someone blaspheme.

OK,
After reading Iya's post and am now totally confused why hes spearfishing w/ air rifles and shooting telephone books:D :confused: . Heebes, heres the thing. Its probably not a great idea to get a gun that is longer than the average vis of the place you're going to be diving most. I shoot a 110 offshore but wouldn't even think of taking it on the jetty or near shore wrecks. For shore dives I usually take my 75 and about half the time it's actually too long. I'm going to p/u a 60 this winter. The nearshore wrecks can be handled w/ a 90. The spades almost impale themselves, the taugs aren't super hard to shot, the flounder just lay there(w/ an annoying habit of laying on top of a barely covered rock) and the AJ's generally come close, just pick your shot. As stated by some others I'd go for a med size euro, they're cheaper and fun to shoot, track fast, but w/ 1.5-2m of vis thats not really a concern. Unfortunately there's Not one gun that will do it all. This I can say for a fact, if you're hunting nearshore mid-atlantic areas you won't be able to see the end or much further than the end of your gun most of the time if you get a 130 or equivalent sized gun. Either way it's your money and I wish you well w/ which ever one you choose.
Jay

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT