• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How is "nationality" of a record determined?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pezman

We pee deep. Ew!
Sep 24, 2002
Alastair asked it first here:

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?postid=411294#post411294

After doing the math and realizing the he could probably snatch about five U.S. records, he sighs and says ...

I suppose you have to be American to try though...

Actually, he can do a number of remarkably accurate U.S. regional accents -- no one would know better.

He raises an interesting question though. How is the "nationality" of a record determined?
  • Location of record? (answer seems to be "no")
  • Citizenship of diver? (Is Tanya Streeter a U.S. citizen?, Is David Lee a Jamaican citizen? Maybe the Pope sets multiple Vatican City national freediving records every time he takes a bath.)
  • Affiliation with a national organization?

P.S. Alastair - I checked out the family photos. That's quite the charming little apneist you have there and if those water shots are any where near where you live then you're really fortunate -- reminds me of the Big Blue. ciao

I was curious myself and posted your question on Athletes_Aida list, and got an answer back (from Mandy-Rae Cruickshank),

"In AIDA a persons records would be listed under the country that they hold a passport for, not where they do the record."

I'll pass on any other info if I get any.

Ah! More info:

"...and if a person has several passports, this person has to decide before for which country this record is counting." (Dieter Baumann)

Peter S.

Last edited:
Regarding Alastair's comments on Doc's 30m FI. I'm sure there have been quite a few US people do much deeper FI in training. I've seen DB's "old guy" Bill do dozens of 50m and 60m FI dives. Think he has done 65m or so. Just a few days ago I watched Matt Briseno do a 65m FI (hit the bottom) and he spends %95 of his time as a coach and safety diver ?! :duh :D

Cheers,
Wal

Interesting.
Well, does that mean that I, as a russian citizen could participate in any AIDA event and been able to be recognized by AIDA as the russain national champion in, say, constrant ballast/nofins?

Volodya

Reactions: stevevidar
Yes. But for your performance to count, the competition has to be one that includes divers of different nationalities, for example, "National Competition with Guest", "National Open Competition" or "International Competition" . (Essentially any AIDA event if you let them know beforehand so they can organize it appropriately.)

Also, you need to check with your AIDA National (Russia in your case) whether or not you have to be a member for your performance to be recognized (you probably do).

Peter S

@volodya

V-man,

Let's shanghai a Canadian and have an international competition at Dutch Springs this summer. All participants go home with a national record ;);

I have already sent an email to Yuliya Petrik, she is AIDA representative in Russia.
First of all, I would like to know what the existing AIDA-recognized records are for Russia.
What I know so far is they are having dynamics competition once a year. Haven't heard about CW/nofins.
Well, Pezman, lets hit the dust out of the current FI record!
Volodya

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT