• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

how long can u hold ur breath

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

turbo turtle

Sep 21, 2005
hi, i'm new to this forum
i'm also new to diving
i can hold my breath for 1 min 45 sec underwater
i'm just curious about how much you guys do and can someone tell me what happens after if i try to go longer.

turbo turtle said:
i'm just curious about how much you guys do and can someone tell me what happens after if i try to go longer.

You black out and drown.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and don't try it in water. :naughty espeacially not alone!

Search the forum on 'static tables'. They are a comon tool to improve your breathhold abilities. And I bet you will be able to hold your breath for longer than 3 minutes within a week or less.

Here is a computer [ame=http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=564430#post564430]programm[/ame] that you can use for your training.

Good luck

hi
also new to this forum and kinda to freediving. my breath hold when just floating on surface face down is 2:15 and i was wondering if i could get an approximation on how long i'd be able to be deep underwter actually underwater sightseeing instead of the equivolent of snorkeling without a tube. i think its a little over a minute for me but when i go under i never bother to stopwatch and focus on the sights, its more relaxing to be underwater sightseeing then getting tense worrying about my breath and loosing precious seconds. i always find it kinda amazing people can do these things in the ocean swim with the fish for a few minutes and i wish i could do it longer then i do and i know i can. :duh

also since i'm a newb and i know newbs always ask the same questions it'd be helpful if someone could list some threads that have the new FAQs

before I started freedive training, I could hold my braeth for 3:15, and dive down to 7m

now, a year on, i can hold my breath for 5:55.

a typical dive down to 18 I will take about 17 seconds down, and lay there for 45 seconds then about the 17 seconds accending. i have learn't to dive more efficently and be more relaxed since starting Freedive training and regualry diving with others.

here is a a movie of a complete dive i did down to 18m, shoot a Terakhi and dispatch it its in real player format.

http://www.upcurrent.co.nz/videos/terkyhunt.rmvb

thanx for that

another question about breath holding and dept is how long should you be able to hold your breath to make a certain depth, if theres any table of average times to make certain depths that'd be great.

thanx again
also since i probably missed some intro things i live in orange county ca just incase it is of significance :wave

There is no general relation between how long you can hold your breath and how deep you can go.

There is no general relation between how long you can hold your breath and how long you can dive for.

That is not to say there isn't an average relation, but that this relation is just information and pointless to determining your own relation.

See this thread for further elaborations:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=63231&page=1&pp=15

NaturalBlue said:
my breath hold when just floating on surface face down is 2:15
I hope you did not do that alone !! There is a risk for you to black out and to drown...

To do that you must be under tight watching... your partner must check effctively that you are still conscious by pressing your finger or something like that... It is very difficult to distinguish between a living static apnoeist and a drowned person floating face immersed on the water...

Be careful !!!!!

If you can hold 2 : 15 , you should be able to dive down to 20 m, provided that :

1. you have a correct weighting (difficult to assess) ;

2. you know how to compensate (Valsalva, BTV, Frenzel,...)

You cannot learn it by yourself... autiodidactism may bring you to an early grave...

Go into a club and dive with competent people...

woah didn't know that just floating breath hold could be that serious thanx for the eads up though normaly when i try that i'm just trying to impress a friend or something.

as of club or groups its not like i'm with any official group of friends just every now and then i'm snorkeling with someone and i find something really interesting so i feel like spending a minute underwater exploring a bit.

thanx for the warning sign i've yet to realize

My advise for beginners here:
Fill in your location in your profile. Search in the 'find a buddy' forum for a buddy or if there's no one in your area, post a new thread about it. Consider participating in a course. Read a lot, there is plenty of safety procedures and basic techniques on these forums, they can save you weeks/months/years of developing them yourself (or save your life). That's one of the main benefits of finding a buddy/taking a course.

Reactions: Alison
I agree with the above,

non of my improvements could have been possible without the constant training and diving with my dive buddy, who is more experienced than me and phsicaly a better diver, i would not be where I am now if it wasn't for the sequence of events that aspired over the last 14 months!

If you want to increase your underwater breath-hold do dry breath holds where you put yourself to your absolute limit and get your mate to time you, and then try to better your time the next time, (mabee once or twice a week). Also dive heaps and train hard. And remember ALWAYS dive with a buddy
Happy diving and best of luck

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT