• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

how long in tropical waters

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
Folks, how long fish stays fresh in tropical water. Say, from the time you kill it to start cooking or putting in freezer? Basically how long can I stay on fishing grounds after my first fish is taken?

Its always going to be best if you have ice, but at some of the best spots its not always going to be practicle. I don't know if this is the best but its what I have always done. I always have wet hessian or canvas bags which the fish are placesd in or covered with. The fish are kept out of direct sun & on cool surfaces & the evaporation helps cool & preserve the fish. Fortunately when on the water, the temps don't get as high as on land & I certainly havent had too many problems with keeping fish like this up to 4 hours before processing or cooking them (a morning & afternoon dive).
I'd love to learn a few more ideas too.

Cheers Sharkey

The lag time (period bacteria grow until potentially harmful) is 4 hours "in the danger zone" of temperatures. "Danger zone" is from 41'F-135'F. I would say being kept in the shade, cooled by covering as mentioned above and then immidiately plunged into ice bath or super cooled in freezer for 30 minutes would be prudent. Oil content and firmness of the meat is also a factor. The higher the oil the quicker it will turn. Soft fish likewise. Shellfish I would say no more than an hour or keep in water in the shade and change hourly.

That is safe, but conservative for fish, can't be too careful with shellfish.

We do live aboard dive trips with no ice for the catch. Water temp about 83 F and air temp around 85F, keep the catch wet and in the shade. We may shoot as early as 10 am for cooking at 6 pm. More usual, 1 pm for 6 pm. Fish is always fine, both texture and taste. Mostly low oil fish. Mackeral would be less time.

Connor

Then again I'm here in the Gulf of Mexico where it's 110'F in the shade many days. Water temps approach 98'F often. Fish & shellfish don't last long in that temp zone.

I gave up going fishing on half-day boats because they stopped allowing you to bring ice chests to keep your catch in. They insisted that a wet burlap bag was good enough. I disagree. Catch it, kill it, put it on ice as fast as you can, say I. (I think the real excuse was they didn't want us bringing our own beer!)

Ice it--keep it safe. The alternative is a poor meal at best or deathly scours at worst! Your tummy and toilet will thank you.

Reactions: Pinoy Sniper
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT