• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How many contractions?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Farmer Mat

May 5, 2003
Hi people,
i allready read some treats about contractions, but i am still not sure why some have lots and other people have none!
Does anyone know why it is like this?

My static pb is about 4:40, i have to resist contractions for about 2:10 and during this time i have more than 100 contractions!! :ko

looking forward to your answers...
greets
Mat

I don't think there is really an answer to your question Mat. A small minority of people don't get them at all, some people get them quite early. In my statics I tend to get them at about 1:45 with 3-4 purge breaths, 2:15 with 10-12 hard purges. My PB is around the 5 minute mark.

Hyperventilation will always delay them, but they'll still come. The problem with hyperventilation is well documented here, it only makes the journey to the end of the static easier, it doesn't make the ultimate length determined by your 02 capacity any longer.

My two biggest statics, one wet one dry, were 5.00 wet with 10 purge breaths, and 5:05 dry (on the lounge watching the Simpsons to be precise) with 2:30 of full hyperventiliation. I was experimenting with some hyperventilation and found that although I made it to nearly 4 minutes without a contraction, I could only last a bit over a minute with them as they started very strong. On my wet 5 minute static The contractions came at around 2 minutes, but were soft at first, gradually getting worse. And virtually no difference in end times.

The main difference is that the hyperventilation static was a lot more dangerous as my warning signals were delayed.

But there's no magic pill I know of to get rid of contractions, it's something we all learn to live with.

Cheers,
Ben

hi

I also find quite a difference in contractions. With hyperventilation they will come as late as 5min but they are very hard to hold and by the end I get a feeling of darkness as if the world is closing in in front of my eyes.

Without hyperventilation they come as around 2:30-3:00 but are a bit more comfortable to hold but still get difficult to hold within 2 mins.

For some reason some days I find contractions much harder to hold then others, however the time the contractions start remains fairly consistent its just the time that I can hold them varys a lot :hmm

cheers

I've only had contractions a couple of times, once on an empty lung dive and once on a dry static. PB for dry static is 4:15 with no contractions, as a newbie I've been wondering whether or not I should be getting them.

I have managed about 2 years without any sign of contractions reaching 6:30.
Once I crossed 6:30 i started getting contractions.
The first time they started at 6:30 exactly on a 7:00 dry static, then at 5:30 , currently as soon as 4:30 :-(
I do not like this change in physiological response to breatholds, but it does not seem to influence my max times only the way i get there is much more difficult now.

Also since i have worked so long on learning my body without contractions I am in complete new terrain here and have no idea when to quit.
Still samba/blackout free but is getting more difficult to read myself.

I wish i still didn't get them , life was so much easier then ;-)

Reactions: immerlustig
i would be missing out if i didn't get them because there is power in them that makes me enjoy them. one time i told the youth group in church there is power in prayer and showed them all how powerful my contractions were when i do apnea. it got them interested and a couple people got saved that day because i told them prayer is even more powerful! anyway contractions can be good for just about anything is the point i am making.

I have been doing tables for about 3weeks now and was finding that it was my mind causing me contractions to kick in so I tried some meditation and relaxation and followed a table a friend gave me and hot 4 mins 58 seconds dry and the contractions did not start till the last 20 seconds now today I found that I'm abit stressed don't know why but the contractions were kicking in about 2.mins mark and my mind was playing games so I have learnt if your stressed even 1% it will make them come earlier and in faster waves for me any way hope this info helps

Koga

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT