• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How many knives do you carry?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

How many knives do you take with you?

• No knife

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • 1 knife

Votes: 55 76.4%
  • 2 knives

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • only multitool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 knive + multitool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 knives + multitool

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
Nesim said:
I no longer cary a knife while spearfishing,

in the past i carried one, had it placed on my left arm and some times on my left fore arm. Tried it on my calf as well. it kept getting tangled around my shooting line.

The only reason i carried the knife was to use it as a fish killer. Now i use the sharp end of my fish stringer. much more effective than a knife with less hassel.

probably not the wisest thing... :hmm

Hey Nesim...I have thought about this too...although I will always take my knife for safety reasons....will go and see if I can use the fish stringer effectively...

Nesim said:
I no longer cary a knife while spearfishing,

in the past i carried one, had it placed on my left arm and some times on my left fore arm. Tried it on my calf as well. it kept getting tangled around my shooting line.

The only reason i carried the knife was to use it as a fish killer. Now i use the sharp end of my fish stringer. much more effective than a knife with less hassel.

probably not the wisest thing... :hmm

I don't know about less hassle, I speared myself 5x with my own stringer(which was dangling from my float) walking up the steep beach out of the water last time out! :duh rofl I'd lost the little safety cap. There was a lot of blood. (I've found an old pen top to replace the the safety cap now though).

I tried using the stringer to dispatch my last fish but found it a bit fiddly to hold (thin & round) & maneouve (the cable to the middle being attached to my float) -- and so opted for the knife instead (I stab in via the gill - where a long thin blade works best).

If sharks are not an issue, the Omer belt-mounted stringer might work better.

BTW to reduce entanglement you might want to try the ultra low profile Rob Allen Limpet sheath strapped to your inside calf... along with a flat knife (such as RA Assegai, Omer Flat Hunt, Picasso Tigre, Spetton Team Stillete
or the cheap Taiwanese Stingray Professional dive knife a.k.a. the "Economy Spearo's knife").

Hiya

What type of float are you using??

I use a small 9ltr foam float for shore diving. I simply stick the stringer INTO the foam. If you're using an inflatable float, use a small peice of speargun rubber to put over the sharp end of your spike. Then TIE the peice of rubber to your float. No more losing the cap or stabbing yourself!!

Those RA knife scabbards are THE BEST!!! Get one!! You'll never go back to your old knife scabbards. I've been using that type since i started diving and have yet to lose a knife!!:D

Regards
miles

Last edited:
miles said:
Hiya

What type of float are you using??

I use a small 9ltr foam float for shore diving. I simply stick the stringer INTO the foam. If you're using an inflatable float, use a small peice of speargun rubber to put over the sharp end of your spike. Then TIE the peice of rubber to your float. No more losing the cap or stabbing yourself!!

Those RA knife scabbards are THE BEST!!! Get one!! You'll never go back to your old knife scabbards. I've been using that type since i started diving and have yet to lose a knife!!:D

Regards
miles
I'm using a solid Rob Allen 11 litre float with flag & ballast. It was quite expensive, so I don't think I will stick my stringer into it just yet -- although I am sure that would work well. I like the rubber idea though (although I don't have any currently, I should prob. buy a spare length of bulk rubber next year & a spare wishbone or two). That should also stop the stringer swinging around -- which can be annoying. (I used to use a net bag before I got the stringer & had less problems with it to be honest!).

BTW Miles, I currently have a 90cm RA with, I think, 16mm standard rubbers I think -- it seems plenty powerful. Even so, I wondered if might it be worth putting thicker rubbers on e.g. 18mm/20mm and setting it up with a double wrap of spear line, rather than a single, for greater range. (I have heard some say that it is best to leave it as the factory set it up -- as they spend some time getting everything balanced right).

Hiya

Stick with the current set-up. If you want to modify, rather get a RA 6.6mm spear for your gun. (assuming it doesn't already have a 6.6mm RA spear!!) If you're using a 90cm gun it means the viz. isn't that good, so double wrap will be wasted. I'm not a fan of double wraps on small guns. Simply too much hassles. As long as you get fish, your gun is fine!!!

I've also tried the net on the float for your fish. Used it to keep the seals off my fish. Does have quite a bit more drag than a normal stringer though.

Regards
miles

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT