• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How many meters of line?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi,
Like most of the european speros I'm using a reel for my spear gun but unlike most of them I really enjoy the thinnest line that I could find and now its about 0.70mm. The problem is my real can hold of maybe 150m of this line and for sure I dont wanna store that much of useless spear line into the reel ;)

What's your suggestion about the appropriate lenght of spearline that can be put on a reel?

thank you guys :cool:

It depends what will u use it for. If you use it for groupers in the deep waters. Just roll few more meter than you can dive. Lets say you hit grouper in cave at 30 meter then you have to had 33 meter to get your gun surface. But you can use reel for figthing big fish thats another story but i don't know how much line is needed in that case. I think its not logical to use reel for big fish if you have float. Why risk your gear and life with reel instead of nice surfing with float???

Fill the reel up is all I can say. If you run out of line you know the fish was too big

Depends on your hunting neds:)

Hello.
Here is my 20 cents:)
I like to use as much reel line as possible!
Why?
Because if I meet a big pelagic fish I dont have to think twice about spearing it. :t
There is no such thing as too much reel line:)
Not only is extra line great when fighting bigger fish (and wait till they loose some fighting power), but also when landing not perfectly shot fish.
Since you can give them more slack, so they dont tear the spear out.
As my friend likes to say 50 m is the maximum lenght for most med spearos, but I personaly use 100 m of 1.7 nylon enclosed Kevlar line with a 10 m 1.7 monofilament shooting line, attached to the reel line with a swivel (80kg test).
So far it worked great for all kinds of fish.
If I hunt for smaller fish I use just the mono shooting line ,and if I encounter biger fish Iam never hesitating with the shot, since I know that the fish wont take my gun:))
I also always dive with a bouy so in case of last resort (hasnt happened yet ) I can clip my gun onto it.
A factor in my decision for a biger reel with more line was also the fact that I (in general) dont like to swim in bouy line spageti marinara (attached to my gun).
I know that some people will say that biger reels mean more drag, a heavier gun, etc....
But it all depends on how you choose your reel , line, and how you execute the reel setup and gun balance.
I also get comments on the line and swivel (that its overkill)... but let me say...what good is a spaered fish if you cant land it succesfully?
Just for the record ...Kevlar lines will break (first hand experience), 1.7 mono will snap (if the fish is hard fighting), and special cold pressed INOX spring steel spears will snap (if the fish does the right thing :)).
And so there is no mistake, we are not talking about 200+ kg tunas, but regular med fish.
I think it all comes down to the situation you find yourself in, but as rool of thumb i would go for "Better safe (more reel line) then sorry.Hope this helped.

See you in the sea.
Spider.

I have reel 30 on my alluminium 100 it has 30 meter of line. I only bought it for groupers that hanging in deep water. If i manage to shhot one i can bring the gun to the surface for second shot or whatever.... My old diving buddy says he uses reel to land big fishes like AJ. But i don't know how they exactly do it. In my opinion float with break away is safer and easier, you don't have to do anything just hold the line and do some wave surf;) At least this i what saw in videos...

Thats right:)

AJ or Big Amber Jack..thats right:)

I bought a OMER 100 reel for the job.
Its almost the same size as my old Sporasub plastic reel, with the difference, that it actualy works when needed :))
Dont get me wrong I like Sporasub guns (especially the Black Viper - since I own one) but the reels are a piece of crap (mildely said).
The #30 reel seems a litlle small in capacity to me since you cant put a lot of line on it (like the number says 30 m of 1mm line).
But as with all thinks in life , puropose counts:).
If you are not gonna go after Amberjack or other pelagic or bento-pelagics its ok, but for me, its kind of frustrating to watch fish pass you by, knowing that you cant spear them because you havent got the reel-line for it:((
As a matter of speaking, how is you fishing coming on Murat?
Nice to see other med-spearfishers in this forum:)
Have a nice day, Iam off to the seaside.
Spider.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT