• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How much line to use?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ShawnM

Nov 29, 2019
Hi, just rigging my Apache 60cm speargun and I'd like to know how much line to use. The instruction booklet is pretty much useless and doesn't provide any details at all. I've got some 1.8mm line from Amazon and I need to know how long the line should be.

I'm using the following guide on rigging the line: Rigging A Cressi Apache Speargun

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

If the line is going to be attached to the gun, then two wraps around the muzzle and line release should be plenty. A muzzle bungee will help hold the line tight. If you attach the line directly to the gun then you have to get it just right, which is too hard.

If you are going to shoot anything strong enough to take the gun away from you, you should use a reel, and it doesn't take a very large fish to take the gun away.

You don't mention what sort of conditions you will dive in, but even a small fish might tie up in a cave, rocks, or kelp so that you have to turn loose of your gun to reach the surface. In poor visibility or current, it could be difficult to find the gun again, but a reel would let you get to the surface with the gun in your hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShawnM
Thanks for your reply to my question. Sadly the Apache doesn't have an attachment point for a reel so I wouldn't be able to use one, although that would be my preference. Mostly likely I'll be hunting smaller sized fish, around the size of a mutton snapper. I don't see myself taking a 200lb tuna with a 60cm gun on a reef excursion.

I did order a bungee for the attachment point to my gun. '

Shawn

If the line is going to be attached to the gun, then two wraps around the muzzle and line release should be plenty. A muzzle bungee will help hold the line tight. If you attach the line directly to the gun then you have to get it just right, which is too hard.

If you are going to shoot anything strong enough to take the gun away from you, you should use a reel, and it doesn't take a very large fish to take the gun away.

You don't mention what sort of conditions you will dive in, but even a small fish might tie up in a cave, rocks, or kelp so that you have to turn loose of your gun to reach the surface. In poor visibility or current, it could be difficult to find the gun again, but a reel would let you get to the surface with the gun in your hand.

Often you can add a reel mounting bracket to a rail gun. You need to ensure that any screws are outside of the barrel plugs - or the barrel will flood and get too heavy. If you don't know where the plugs are you may be able to take the handle off and look.

This link should be relevant:

Reactions: Mr. X and ShawnM
Thank you for the suggestion. I was considering a belt reel instead of one I'd attach to my gun. 50m of line seems like tons of line for the depths and species I'd be hunting with a single band 60cm gun.

Shawn

Often you can add a reel mounting bracket to a rail gun. You need to ensure that any screws are outside of the barrel plugs - or the barrel will flood and get too heavy. If you don't know where the plugs are you may be able to take the handle off and look.

This link should be relevant:

Thank you for the suggestion. I was considering a belt reel instead of one I'd attach to my gun. 50m of line seems like tons of line for the depths and species I'd be hunting with a single band 60cm gun.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn:

If you are interested in a MAKO reel, I would probably recommend our smallest, 30 meter line capacity.

you could also use a belt reel or attach the gun to a line thats attached to your float. probably the easier and better option

As long as you don't dive around kelp, a float line and float, attached to the gun, is probably your best bet.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT