• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How much static training is good?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

How much static training do you do?

• once a week?

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 2-3 times a week?

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • 4 times a week?

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • 5 times a week?

• <5 times a week?

• Total voters

Farmer Mat

May 5, 2003
Hi,
once again i am asking you something about my work for graduation....
id like to know how much static training(dry or wet) is good to make as much effort as possible?
is it possible to make too much training? I cant risk to make steps backwards...
So i posted a pool to ask you how much static training you do...
greets

Hello Mat!

when I read static training, I understand that you mean doing the static training tables without checking your max static every training session!

From what I learned doing max static training session oftens will hurt your performance!

Hi Mat

My rule of thumb is to do a bit of dry-static every 2nd day, and just a bit. I literally do 3 to 4 statics and do not push to Max.

I have not pushed bottom times hard, but staying at my average, I do know that the time I spend down has definately become a lot more comfortable for me since starting this regularly.

Ps, I am a spearo, not CW or 'sport' freediving.
Maybe Bevan Dewar will reply, he's really sussed with the training side of freediving.

Regards

Jeff.

This maybe intresting for you:
http://www.apnea.nl/UK-Columnwk4.htm

Personally I think that your body needs a certain amount of time to learn and addapt, and this time cannot be rushed to much, or it will fireback, just like a 'burn-out' hapens to the work-a-holick.

Static training, is certainly heavy on the body when you practicing near max breathholds. And a max is different every time, some day's it may be 5, othe days only 4.
To counter this I changed my trainings to be 'effort' based. I practice O2 schedules like: 50% effort, 2 min rest, 50%, 2 min rest, 70% , 2 min rest, 90%, 2 min rest, 90%. Where the 50% means I come up with the _Idea_ I could do twice as long.
This means I still train nice when I'm having a 'bad' day. I'll let my buddy write down the times, and I read them after the whole schedule. This way I focus on learning and feeling, instead of the stupit beating the clock.

Nowaday's I train static only once a week, but in practice dynamic 3 times a week in addition. And that has also apnea dives, although short ones. Seperately to that I train balance, focus an stretching and overall stamina by cycling.

Good luck with your research, it's a intresting question, I've heard stories of people training to much and see their times and spirit sink way back, needing a year to recover from it.

My friend owning www.apnea.nl likes to call it:
Static Burnout Syndrome (SBS) he's researching the same thing.
Maybe it's nice to team up?

Good luck,

Carlos.

I think the real answer is : it depends.

Much is up to:
- how "heavy" the training is
> how "deep" you go (maximum or easy breathhold)
> amount of repetitions
> amount of recovery between apnea dives within a sesion
- how long (months, years) you built up to a certain training routine
- how much other training you do and of what kind
- what your goals are
- how well you rested, slept, ate etc.

Depending on what other training you do and how you train, daily training could be possible but also once a week could sometimes already be too much. Opinions vary widely on how much you can or should train. You certainly can train too much and if you do it badly enough it can take months, maybe even years to fully recover from it. Training too much can even cause arithmia of the heart.

Interpreting trainings and circumstances the right way is difficult and a lot of research has still to be done. As a rule of thumb I would say train static between once a week and every other day, bring variation in your training and do not race the clock but listen to your body like Kars said. Sadly enough there is no perfect routine that suits all. You can look for an article of the Solomons on deeperblue for some inspiration of how to do a static training.

Hope this helps.

Hi Mat,

I'm currently going through a very heavy training phase. Basically, I train daily to the max, with an odd resting day here or there, and I've made very good progress with this. But I can't imagine doing this for very long.

Currently I have no trouble keeping my self motivated, but I'm sure I will in the future. Then it is time to slow down.

I don't have the official scientific truth, but here's how I feel about it.

It's ok to train as much as you can, if you feel comfortable and make progress. If your performance suddenly starts to drop and you loose motivation, then maybe you should rest a bit. This with the usual things about diet, antioxidants and sleep and such still applying.

To keep my motivation up, I have to do a lot of variation. Just doing the same old breathup and trying to beat your pb every day wears out quickly. I do a lot of crosstraining (jogging, swimming, apnea walks, apnea jogs) and keep switching my training methods and targest pretty often. One week I'll do exhale statics, the other just co2 training. And then, every once in a while, I shoot for the pb...

I think Eric F said in one of his old posts, that one of the biggest contribution to progress has been "juggling of variables", or something like that. I can second that...

Last edited:
Thanks!

hi,
okay i see there is no general rule for that... At the moment i cant do very much different trainings, because i hurt my knee very badly (my cruciate legament is ripped) and i have to recover from the operation now, but i start doing other things when its possible...
it is not very easy for me to make more than dry static excerices, because in switzerland we only have a few freediver and they arent locatet in my area...

what do i have to take care of for the "perfect" training? (i am talking about antioxidances, diet...)
What is really usefull to make much progress? i have only 5 months time...
is it necessary to take antioxidances and to make diet at the beginning?
what do you think is necessary beside the regular static excercises, like breath technics or mental training? you may have some nice ideas what i could do?

okay i am sorry if these questions are little bit stupid but i really like to do some "real" training - not only from time to time some static excercises like it did until now.... And i`d like to have representativ results for my work, additional i have only one chance and i don`t want to write a work about what you should never do to make progress! i hope you understand that :)

Lokking forward to your answer...
greets

It's very hard to give good general advice, not knowing what level you currently are and what kind of exercises you do currently.

If you're just starting out, I'd say the first step is to prove to your self "it can be done". Just hold your breath and watch others do it. It should be evident in short time, that up to 4 minutes is not only possible, it is quite easy for most people with a bit of training. After that, start tinkering with the breathups and techniques...

I sent you a PM with my contact details, if you want to send me your current level and training, I might be able to give some pointers.

Or you can post them here for everyone and get some actually qualified responses :)

Last edited:
My training status...?

Well at the moment i am doing nothing - i try to find out as much as possible before i start the training...
i allready worked with tables, in the pool static and dinamic and some cw in the mediteranean sea... but i`am as well a lazy bum...

well my static pb is about 3`30 - not very much, i know!

i read the article of Peter Scott about all the training stuff - pretty interesting - and now i know a little bit more what i should do...

okay, thats it...
greets mat

Best thing to do is to find a buddy nearby!

You'll motivate eachother, and you'll learn much from eachother.

You like to make big progress in 5 months? Are working towards a greater goal? A holiday, or a competition?

I've seen a few people going for that, and they do make great progress, but after it they fall back much in both numbers as well as mentally. I say be carefull, change slowly, and go for the long term. I think you cannot go faster than your body, and MIND, is able to addapt. Rest is also VERY important.

What to do?

- find a buddy
- start stretching, (go easy on it, passive streching)
- practice your overall stamina, running/ cycling swimming lanes etc.
- practice your swimming technique.
- practice concentration, that can be done almost everywhere, eating, walking, shoveling, cycling etc.
- start eating healthyer, do so gradually. In general unprocessed foods are better. (Oranges are better than Orange juce)

Ok, this is probably filling your week quiet nicely :D

Carlos.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT