• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

how much weight at the bottom of the line?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

caymandiver

give me gills!
Jun 18, 2003
I use a 2lb scuba weight and a thin line I got from a hardware store. The problem is that is bends quite a lot at the bottom. :(

Could anybody be kind enough to share what works best for lines over 100ft?

Thanks a buch in advance.

It depends on a couple of things. The material and thickness of the line will determine how much weight you need. Plus, if you want to be able to do a free immersion dive, then you will need at least 15 lbs. 25 or more is better if you want to do a really fast pull down the line.
We have a little float system on some 3/16 line- we use 8 lbs to keep the line horizontal.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

What do you guys use for floats?

Do you bring it out every time?

I've been using a boogie board lately but thinking of switiching to a wind surf board. The problem is it floats with the current a lot. Always swimming after it.;)

Thanks all!

Oh and Erik, wicked tatoo.

I use an old (1983) lifejacket that I picke dup for free. It is inflated by the mouth and the material is very resistant to scraping against the rocks and barnacles.

I have tied the straps on the lifejacket into a central point and the descent line is attached to the straps with a prussik knot so the line can be adjusted according to tidal conditions.

Works great, and it was free!

Cheers

I have found out how to attach photos to posts.

Here is a snap of the lifejacket I use, hope the file is big enough to be viewable,

Brian

Attachments

• lifejacket.jpg
    lifejacket.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 387
Reactions: caymandiver
Thanks for putting up the picture Brain.

You defnitely are a real freediver! Way back from 1983? I was just 3 then!:D

I like the idea with the knots in the middle to adust the line. I've found that to be difficult and I will defnitely take your advice on it.

Thanks a lot!

When I put a warm-up line out while diving on Lake Michigan I use the charter boat as my float.;)

Last edited:
The amount of weight I put at the bottom of the line depends upon what I can dig up from the "extra gear" box we have on board. It looks like I am using around 30 pounds in this picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: caymandiver
Jon, Brian, Erik and Ivan.

You guys are AWESOME!

Thank you so much for taking your time and explaining things.

Especially Jon and Brian. Thank you so much for taking those pictures and going out of your way.

I appriciate your help very much.
Thanks

hi

Hey Jon what is the best vis you get in those lakes over there, is it always green or is it just the summer time green;)

cheers

It depends upon the lake.

Right now Lake Michigan is really warm, 68 degrees down to 110', and the vis is only around 25'-30'.

I have been out there in January and measured out, with a fiberglass tape measure, 85' of horizontal vis. Of course, we have to shovel the snow off of the dock and dive in 35 degree water to get the good vis.:cool:

Inland lakes are another story.

Last night Ted and I went out to the Local lake (Lake Mendota) and "tried" to spearfish. I couldn't even see to the end of my 70cm. Rob Allen. I had to hold the butt down by my hip and try to shoot whatever might stumble upon me as I lay on the bottom. :(
I saw one fish, in an hour, and decided it just wasn't worth it to shoot the little bugger.

Last winter, in the exact same spot, I swear we hade close to 40' of vis. This winter I will take picutres to prove it.:eek: On the bright side, last night we had 77 degree water to dive in and it felt really good to cool off in there from the 95 degree air temps that we had yesterday.

Here's a picture of a little better vis, in the summer time even.:D

Jon

Last edited:
hi

Yeah now thats more like it nice pic vis too.

77 degree water whats that in Celcius :hmm

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT