• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How often?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I've been told in the freediving course that I'm taking, that 1-2 sessions per week to keep in shape, and 3-5 sessions per week to get in better shape. Also been told that it's important not to 'over train', and that means not only not to do to much practice sessions, but also not to take it to a 100% each practice session.

Ofcourse, what works best for you, is the best.
What's your best by the way? :)

O, and you've probably heard it a milion times, but just in case, here's the regular:
Practice safe - dry, or with a competent buddy...

Thanks DT,
My best is pretty crap but I am just starting so I guess it doesn't count:
2mins. I've only been doing statics for a week so shut up! :D What is your best?
I don't have regular access to a pool either - what should I do - just statics or is there a substitue for dynamics?

Nicky
:t

Nicky:
My best is pretty crap but I am just starting so I guess it doesn't count: 2mins. I've only been doing statics for a week so shut up! What is your best?
:) that's not bad!, I heard of much worse starters, and most people I know probably can't hold their breath a minute and half to save their lives.
When I started I was glad that I still have all my records infront of me. I still feel that way, since I'm also fairly new. and lazy. :)

My NEW best is 5:34 dry, done today. Before that it was 5.

And about substitute for dynamics, it depends on your goal, or the things you want to improve (your weak spots). I think that the most common practice for dynamics is apnea walking, or apnea stairwalking, some even do apnea whight lifting - which I'm against.
Just take it easy, you would'nt wanna have a smaba on the stairs, or for that matter, anywhere.

Keep going, and keep reading also :), there are tons of useful information on DB.

Hold your breath and walk. Gets you used to exercising whilst holding your breath, builds up CO2 tolerance etc.

Good luck trying to improve your times,
Matt

3-4 sessions a week is what i manage to enjoy. a session is roughly 60 minutes of stretching and breathing/relaxing followed by a set of 3 statics.
i usually do them in the morning on days that i feel relaxed (which is almost every day anyeway;) ).
the longest continuing statics training was over a 3 month period and i improved rather continuously.

cheers

roland

p.s. sitting on a deserted sunny beach at 6:30 in the morning probably helps also.:D

Hy Roland!

Sent you a mail today, to your "old" email adress, hope it's the right adress. If not please sent me your new.

I do 3 static the week. And one apnoe per hour (dry).
But strict training is not the key, I think. Yet I had a brake for 5 weeks doing nothing for freediving (I was ill), Yesterday The first time in the pool since 6 weeks and I managed to do an new personal best of 5:00 ( instead of4:40).
Now I think I'll do my strict training and looks how it's going on.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT