• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How old were you when you start with freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

How old were you when you start with freediving

• <18

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • 18-25

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • 25-30

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • 30-35

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • 35-40

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 40-45

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • >45

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

Mlaen

Making progress...
Jun 22, 2003
I'am now 16 and training for a few weeks. I'm training alone and all I know I found it on the internet...

All I can say is if you want to become serious about freediving and you want to see your 17th B-day don't train alone.

I'm one of the worst to tell people to not train alone because most of my pool workouts are alone, BUT I never push my limits by doing statics or long dynamics alone. When I do push it, it's usually with my trusty spotter Bill. :D

I do though encourage you to continue with freediving we need more young guys and girls in the sport.

DSV

whem i'm training i open sea i don't train alone but everything else i do (ie pushing static on dry...)

I discovered freediving much too late :(
In the beginning of 2000, famliy in NZ told me one of their friends would dive down to 30 meters on a single breath.
Couldn't believe it back then, now I certainly do.

Maybe it's better to start freediving on an older age, when the competitive drive is a bit gone.

I started Scuba when I was 8 and freedive around 10. But the first time I actually mesured how deep I went was around 50ft when I was 16. (It was stupid, I did it after two scuba dives in that day.. I didn't know..):waterwork

I always liked the feeling of running out of air and knowing I will be breathing in less than 15 long seconds.:t

Christian

Originally posted by caymandiver
I always liked the feeling of running out of air and knowing I will be breathing in less than 15 long seconds.:t

well I like it to get back to surface withouth that feeling ;)
thumbs.gif

Hi

I started freediving about 3 years ago (19 years old) -- that is when i first noticed the sport :duh

Jure

first started diving when i was 11, 9 years ago. still dive the same spots and no worse for the wear
lance

I asked my mom a similar question awhile back, about how young I was when I started swimming underwater. She tells me I was learning to swim underwater at the same time I was learning to walk and that I was still in diapers. I was 1 at the time.

Hard to say.

My dad took me snorkelling when I was a kid (I could dive down to maybe 3 m at that time.) It obviously never occured to me as a sport at the time, which is 25 Years ago now, btw. :)

Ever since, though, the snorkelling was the highlight of every vacation to a larger body of water and was the only thing I would do in the water. But still no training or thinking of equipment.

Then around 1996, I noticed that snorkelling (the diving part of it) was something I could do better than anyone I knew and I started thinking of getting better and such. ( At the time I could hold my breath for 1:50 ) But I still only dove (is this the correct tense?) on vacation, where I would go below 10m in 2001.
In 2002 I got a CMAS brevet and went to the maldives - at last having a job to pay for all that ;-) . I found that SCUBA is an excellent pasttime, but I couldn't lose the feeling that I was cheating. So now I am 32 and finally want get real with this freediving thing.

So when did I start freediving? I'd say this year; but I spent the last 25 Years on verge of starting ;-)

I never thought about this.
Thank You for asking, Mlaen.

i took swimming lessons when i was mabye 1.5-2 yrs old. been around water sience then. Grandparents pools and the beach kept me comfy with the water. I first really took a interest in FreeDiving over the past summer when i read a article in Men's Journel while waiting 4 a haircut. Told about a guy that could hold his breath about 7-8 mins. incredible. I told my dad about it and together we started spearfishing/monofinning/scuba/pool and dry land apena. we ordered the Manuel of FreeDiving and i use the internet for all kind of dive related research.

I started spearfishing when I was 4 with my father. I have been spearfishing ever since (with a 5 year break when I was in the UK) I am now 30. I have been spearfishing to a good depth (>30m) for the past 5 years and I started competitive freediving last year....
Funny thing is that in all these years in the water the first time I equalized was when I was 25yrs old...I did it by accident during spearfishing. I now equalise hands free.

Cheers Stavros

Equalizing hands-free.

[...] I now equalise hands free.
How does this work? Could You point me to some source of information on this?

cheers, sanso

I used to often kayak out to an island close to home to go fishing. A great place to hang out, think, watch the seals and the occasional dolphin or whale swim past. I loved to watch the water below the kayak and catch the odd glimpse of a school of fish or a stingray.
It hadn't occurrred to me to get in the water except from the beach to cool off. Then one day I went out with a guy who had a mask and snorkel and he encouraged me in from the rocks (about 5 metres going down slowly to who knows how deep) I was blown away and had to ask myself what the hell was I wasting my time for trying to kill all these creatures rather than enjoying their beauty.
After that I did some research and came across the film "The Big Blue" - after that I was hooked. I got a cheap mask and snorkel and was given some fins. I went to that bay as often as I could for the rest of the summer and started the dangerous practice of unsupervised statics in the bath. I made friends with the fish and stopped killing or eating them. Breathing exercises, stopped smoking.
I found I could easily do 2 min + statics then 2:30 and now one year on I am over three mins. I am also much more aware of the dangers so have sought like minded ppl to train with. The problem I am finding is that most ppl here want to go kill fish. Hey thats fine with me but I want to focus on the competition aspect.

agreed.
i love to simplly go watch the fish and be a part of the underwater world, spearfishign was fun and is still fun but i am really hooked on underwater photography now. Equalizing hands free has several methods, the one i use is where i place my mask tightly over my nose before i dive. The skirt of my mask provides the hand that you would usually use. *note* not all masks allow for this.

i started freediving for "real" just recently, already on the wrong side of my 30s! :) But as long as i remember i snorkelled around, in the shallows or down to 3-5m

This seems to be common practice :)
Although I'm not so sure about the 'wrong' side of the 30s ;) I certainly feel much wiser that any of those nitwit-late-twens! :t

enter the flamewar

Heheh,

sanso

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT