• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How the hell do I use this thing??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sideburn

Nov 24, 2016
Hello there

Since I was a little kid I wanted to go spearfishing and now, being 27 years old I`m planing to realise it -living in Switzerland, where spearfishing is forbidden and having a pretty restricted budget currently because of being a student. However I`m planning to go to Italy next year and also I will visit my little brother in Florida at the beginning of 2017 - so having those locations set, I went and bought myself an Omer Cayman Carbon 90cm - for wich I got a pretty good offer.

Now, let`s get to my question: How the hell do I load this thing? Somewhen I will also have to rig it, but I guess I will figure that out. My problem is the following: If i slide the spear in the "chamber", shouldn`t it lock, making a klicking sound? I`m somehow not able to do this - with the safety on or off...

- I`m suspecting it has something to do with the red little plastic-piece on the line release (see picture attached)..? Do i have to get rid of this thing first? If so, how do I do that, since I can`t really get it off with moderate force (didn`t want to break anything, so maybe I was a bit to soft on it..)

If this questions sounds pretty dumb to you, accept my appologies, but as mentioned I am a complete beginner (and don`t have anyone else to ask at the moment) - you have to start of somewhere, don`t you? ;)

image1.JPG

All the best
sulitu

Pull red plastic safety out. It has to go quite easy. Pull it to the right(sideways). Then set safety switch off and squeeze the triger. Now shaft should lock into mech.

Thanks alot! Well, looks like I`ve been to soft to it...

Do I have to keep the trigger squeezed everytime i slide the spear in for reloading?

it will also engage if you press the spear in firmly at the last bit. Keep the red plastic piece, if your travelling with the gun it can help protect the line release.

Perfect, thank you very much!

@ DuncM: Is any method better? I guess it will conserve the locking mechanism a bit, if I slide the spear in while keeping the trigger squeezed?

I don't think it will be a problem, just whichever you prefer.

Trigger shouldnt be squeezed while u slide the spear in. U just had to squeezed it because it was in locked position.

Reactions: Mr. X
Red plastic is a protection for the line releaser; take it off.
Put the safety on OFF position.
Keeping the gun in an upright position (I mean horizontal, but with the handle below) squise the trigger.
Then insert the shaft and push it into trigger mech; don't slam it, but push it firmly. You will hear a click and the shaft is engaged.

About the rigging, here are some picture for double rigging the Omer Cayman HF (picture send to me by Keith Bailey form Technosport Inc.).

IMAG0706.jpg
IMAG0707.jpg
IMAG0710.jpg

Hey marius, I've been searching the internet quite a while for this. Thank you!

Another question, altough a bit off-topic: I've tried on my "salvimar next"-wetsuit today for the first time. Well, looks like I've managed to get 4 (!) tears in the neoprene the first time trying it on - and some of them are pretty big.. I've just used water for getting the suit on and I'am used to scuba halfdry-suits wich seem to take all the abuse you want. But with clipped down nails and a suit that seems to fit me pretty well I wouldn't have expected this result..
Are those really so fragile? Or did a just buy the wrong brand /suit?
Looks like I'm in the need for some neoprene glue now..

Welcome to the world of "open cell" neoprene! It's good you did this to your wetsuit because now you will be accepted by all the others as family.

What you describe has happened to everybody. The warmest suits in practice are the suits that stick to the skin and do not allow water to "flush" through the suit. Some of these even act almost waterproof internally (my body is mostly dry when I take off my wetsuit after hours in the water).

The term "open cell" is mostly wrong, but everybody uses that term, so you can search for youtube videos on how to best take off and put on these types of suits.

The reality is that "open cell" means the inside has no fabric lining, and most other wetsuits do have this lining, which is what makes the neoprene not just tear apart. You can bet that if you pull on the unlined area, it will tear.

So, here's what you have to do:
1) make a spray bottle of some kind of cheap and/or non-scented hair conditioner and water mixture, and spray this on your body and wetsuit liberally before putting it on (1:5 cond:water seems to work for a god starting point). GET SLIMY! If you don't just slide into your suit, you didn't lube enough. After some experience, you can cut back on the lube, but don't skimp at first! For me, here are the key areas:
* back of head
* forearms (esp suit) past elbows
* heels (spray your heels)
* lower leg (esp suit)

2) when taking the suit off, ONLY TOUCH THE OUTSIDE WHICH HAS A PROTECTIVE FABRIC LINING! ;-)
- you can do this for instance by grabbing the bottom front of the top, from the outside, pulling it away from you and over the bent elbow of your other arm, and then using the bent elbow swinging up and over your head to pop the suit off. If you obey #3 you will figure out new ways to put on and take off your suit safely.

And yes - get the neoprene glue put on and dry before you try this.

Welcome to the world of "open cell" neoprene! It's good you did this to your wetsuit because now you will be accepted by all the others as family.

What you describe has happened to everybody. The warmest suits in practice are the suits that stick to the skin and do not allow water to "flush" through the suit. Some of these even act almost waterproof internally (my body is mostly dry when I take off my wetsuit after hours in the water).

The term "open cell" is mostly wrong, but everybody uses that term, so you can search for youtube videos on how to best take off and put on these types of suits.

The reality is that "open cell" means the inside has no fabric lining, and most other wetsuits do have this lining, which is what makes the neoprene not just tear apart. You can bet that if you pull on the unlined area, it will tear.

So, here's what you have to do:
1) make a spray bottle of some kind of cheap and/or non-scented hair conditioner and water mixture, and spray this on your body and wetsuit liberally before putting it on (1:5 cond:water seems to work for a god starting point). GET SLIMY! If you don't just slide into your suit, you didn't lube enough. After some experience, you can cut back on the lube, but don't skimp at first! For me, here are the key areas:
* back of head
* forearms (esp suit) past elbows
* heels (spray your heels)
* lower leg (esp suit)

2) when taking the suit off, ONLY TOUCH THE OUTSIDE WHICH HAS A PROTECTIVE FABRIC LINING! ;-)
- you can do this for instance by grabbing the bottom front of the top, from the outside, pulling it away from you and over the bent elbow of your other arm, and then using the bent elbow swinging up and over your head to pop the suit off. If you obey #3 you will figure out new ways to put on and take off your suit safely.

And yes - get the neoprene glue put on and dry before you try this.

Thank you so much for all this info ond the kind words. I guess having a family always has a price ;) At least now I know why all the traumatic birth memorys came up when I tried to put the suit on with just water..
I will head out for some conditioner now and from now on touch my suit like it was a precious lady.

All the best from Switzerland - and dive save
Sideburn

Is it worth it? An open cell?
I might not the best best source for this info but: from what i've heard open cell ist the best way to go, especially if your diving in colder waters. The insulation is said to be alot better.

About 90% of regular spearfishes or freedivers use them...they are warmer and more comfortable over long periods.

There are others that don't use them, usually for budget, multistory wetsuit reuse, or preference...

Perhaps: at the bottom of this page they speak of super elastic on the inside, which makes the suit more durable for the beginner.

The nano coat is on the outside.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT