• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to configure your tech gear...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

J-L Gaumont-lec

Jun 30, 2004
Greetings fellow divers!

I'm currently seeking technical training for extended range and decompression. I am looking for pictures of tech diver rigs in order to see the pro and cons :confused: of various configuration as well as some advice on the subject.

Thank you for you help:D

J-L Gaumont-Leclerc
Montreal Canada

Some very good textual information is provided here http://www.gue.com/equipment/jj-hogarth.shtml

Picture of a very messy and untidy setup www.unterwasser-bild.de/Mittelmeer/Trimix/Trimix-02-k.jpg

Alternatively try this search on google http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=trimix&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

I personally try to dive DIR all the time when not instructing, as described in the first link. I think it is a very well thought out system as there is a reason for everything being the way it is.

Hope this helps

Thank you londonsean69!

This will indeed really help me! I also bought the NSS cave diving manual and Deep Diving by Bret Gilliam. Very good reading.

Again, thank you,

Note: maybe will I dive in Scapa Flow next year:wave

I have yet to get to scapa, but hopefully this autumn I will be up there for a week, or maybe Malta instead.
Bret Gilliams is a very good book, but the equipment could do with updating. All of the theory etc. is a very good background though.

When I scuba, even when I teach, my set up is all DIR.

It's just so simple and streamlined it just makes everything fit together so much better- and I have tried to dive many other ways so I know how much slicker this system works.

Jon

I wouldn't like to wear it when teaching because the shop I teach at like their instructors to use 'standard' scuba gear, especially with open water students. The theory is that they have seen it done one way on the video, but will see it demonstrated another way in the pool. Although when I assisst in open water I wear my lovely little eclipse single tank wing. With the crotch strap it allows me to stay nice and vertical at the surface, something my old custom divers wing never did, I was just pushed onto my face with that.
When I have advanced students, I wear it, because there are very few skills I have to demonstrate, it also allows them to see a different configuration, one that is gaining popularity with all divers, not just techies.
But when we have rescue diver students, I wont wear it, tried it once, they nearly broke my arm trying to get it out of the one piece harness. I explained to them in a real situation, if that sort of problem occured, they should just cut the harness. Even getting myself in and out of the harness in a hurry tends to be tricky.

I wear it for everything, except I use my snorkel stuffed into my weight strap where my canister light would go to wrap my hose around.

We use standard gear of opewnater students, but put them all into long hoses for AOW class. The shop also has backplates, transpacs, and rec BC's in rentals, but is in the process of dumping all the rec bc's in preference for just transpacs and back plates.

Once you pop the buckle on the waist my backplate slips right off.

In the past, before I there was a DIR or even a TDI, I used double independents, steel stages, double bc's, ect. After switching a couple things over to DIR I found that they worked so well that I just kept on going until I had switched to the whole system. Everything just fits- even on shallow warm water dives.

Jon

Well, I tought that my thread would not attract so much discussion but I like it!

I currently have a Black Diamond BC (My first!) and an Artic second stage along with the same as the safety. Not much I confess But I plan to get my hands on a transpac or an OMS backplate... Still have to check the prices.

I'm concerned with the actual setup and second stage needs ... What I mean is the following:

Double with iso manifold and to stage/deco tanks.

Do I need for the double, 2 first stage and second stage and for each deco/stage, 1 first stage/second stage?

What bugs me is the backup second stage... Any insight?

Thank you guys,

If your tec-diving you do, but if your just doing no-deco recreational dives you can bet by with a single first stage and two second stages.

For my teaching rig I use an Apeks first stage and two apeks second stages. For my tech gear I use the iso-manifold and two seperate first and second stages, plus one reg for every stage bottle.

Halcyon and Diverite have always been my number one choice for backplate and wings.

Jon

I have an OMS backplate, one piece harnes, and use Halcyon wings, with 12L steel back tanks, either single or independent doubles. The reason I use independents is because I cannot yet drive, and usually pick up my bottles on the boat. Unfortunately the shop I am with doesnt rent twinsets.
I also swear by apeks regs, breath really nice, easy to service and can be stripped underwater, really freaks out Open Water students:D

Thank you all! I did not know about Apeks... I just checked it at it look fantastic:p

I will spend more time investigating my equipment...

All right! Here's my first great buy... 98 cubic feet Steel from OMS;)) Happy Happy joy joy...

Testing it this weekend!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT