• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

how to do the exerices in gym

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mlaen

Making progress...
Jun 22, 2003
are there any special tehniques; any tips and hints are welcome;
as you can see I am a new in this sport but I am just trying to get better so...

check out tanyastreeter.com under workout schedules. It should give you some ideas.

I try to get 3 hours a day doing something. Two hours lifting weights and one hour of carbo. I watch what I eat. Got to get into the pranayama stuff like you do though. I'm thinking about getting a bike because my knees hurt much from running.

I hold my breath a lot. When I'm driving, taking the elevator, walking etc. I often do a sudden breath hold without taking a big breath so I get more familar with the pain.

They say if you spend much time with your heartrate above 85% it builds up your lactic acid tolerance. (or something to do with lactic acid) So I try to do at least one hour of that. When I work out with weights I have a heart beat monitor and I try not to let my heartbeat rate drop below 60%.

I've been hearing much talk about how "packing" your lung can really make a diffrence on your dive. Look up lung packing in the forums and you should be able to find a link that will take you to a detailed direction on lung packing. It's at the end of some equalization page. If you can't find it let me know, I'll pm you.

If I had to stress one thing it would be carbo, carbo, and carbo. The more efficient your heart pumps more your body will work underwater. But don't forget to get your legs buffed up eighter.

Good luck!
P.S. Metrix protein shakes are great!

About weight lifting, how are you doing it - heavier and slower lifting or faster lifting. I also don't understand those percents - how do you mean 80%.
Htanx..

Ok. The percentage thing. Let's see, you were born in 87.. which means you are 16 right?

You have to subtract 220-16. 204 is your 100% heart rate value. For me it's 198. Whatever age you are you are supposed to subtract it from 220.

If 204 is your 100% than 102 will be 50%. That's how you can find out you percentages.

I'm not exactly sure how to calculate the heart rate without a heartrate machine. I'm sure you can find it easily on the web. You have to measure your pulse in certin seconds and multiply it by x.

I was chatting with Tanya and she saids she would take about 50-60% of weight capacity and work out holding her breath as long as she can. So if you are doing curls with 20lbs, take 10lbs, hold your breath, do as many curls as you can. Do 3 sets of those.

If I were you I would try to work out 4 days a week. 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days. On one of the days I would practice apnea work outs. The other day I would do regular work out to get your maximum strenghts higher. But like I said, don't forget to do cardio. (I think I said carbo before..:duh ) Cardio is a huge factor.

About doing slow or fast.

I am not the one who can answer that question. I'm not sure if it would make that much diffrence while doing a regular workout but if you're doing an apnea workout the slower you go might be more effective in getting your muscles used to flexing in low o2 level.

If you are serious about this get a heartrate monitor. Polar makes one that's waterproof to 50M. About $100. You can use it while you dive too. Nike is coming out with one in October that will calculate your heartrate and the distance you ran. (It's for runners) I'm not sure if it's waterproof but I think the price is about $350ish. Check it out at Nikerunning.com

If you have anyquestions feel free to ask.

Good Luck! May the force be with you!

Christian

Thanx caymandiver!!
I found so many informations here about different techniques and exerices and I'm very suprized.
Before two weeks it was difficult to te to make 1.40 minutes and now (yesterday) i hit 3:00 with 10 small contractions. It was easy; i was doing O2 tables and the final round i went as mush as i can but i said to my self only to 10 contracions - thanx to everyone on the forum
thumbs.gif
luxhello.gif
thumbs.gif

You ROCK Mlaen!! :friday

Three min is awesome!!

It's really great to see such a young man being in love with the water like that. Put's tears in my eyes..:waterwork (Just kidding)

That's awesome man. Keep at it!

Do you have a diving buddy? Maybe your parents could watch you while you are pushing for a record? I heard that a good static safety thing is to hold a ping pong ball in your hand while you go hold your breath. If the spotter sees the ball out side of your hand he/she knows you are in trouble.

One more thing about working out. I think it's really good to have hard and long work out days and short and easy days. Otherwise somed days just get soooooooo boring. Like I tell my Dad, 59 and over weight, it's not how much you can lift but how often you come to the gym.

Congrats!!

I don't go to gym yet. I'll go in winter, now i am every day in sea. I'm training with O2/co2 tables,pranayama and other (like walk apnea, apnea pushups etc.)
While in the sea i do have a person to watch me but in croatia apnea isn't developed so i have to make a training program on my own and deeper blue helped here a lot.

Oh, ,and one more thing. I have never been in gym so i want to aks you if you can tell me what is cardio training consist of. what kind of exerices are that.
Thanx...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT