• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to kill a fish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LittleFatMan

Mar 12, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I am a complete newbie, having just taken up spearfishing three months ago. I purchased a pole spear on a whim while visiting Hawaii, and when I returned to my home in Japan, found myself determined to give this a real go. I have never fished before, and therefore do not know the basics of regular rod and reel fishing. Hence my question.

I got myself ready to get into the water with my pole spear for the first time, gathering my gear and walking to the beach near my apartment. I swam out and bobbed around the reef for a good hour, trying to practice my aim before going after a real fish. Soon enough, I decided to go after something. The fish in my neck of the woods are very naive and exhibit almost no fear of humans. I believe this is due to the remoteness of my island and their lack of human interaction. Regardless, this works out well for me!

I swam up on a fat little silver fish and took my first shot at a real fish. I missed by a mile! Surprisingly, the fish didn't swim away, but instead, stopped, turned around, and looked right at me! I pulled my pole spear back in, aimed, and missed him (but by less than a mile this time!). His reaction was to give me a look that said, "And just what the **ck do you think you're doing?" and actually swam in closer to me! I got my pole spear ready a third time, took aim, and let loose. I hit him right in the middle of his body where all the meat is (oh well, at least I got him!).

I was pumped! My first fish! Alright! I took a look at him squirming around at the end of my spear and couldn't believe I actually hit something. It was a great feeling!

Then I thought to myself - what now? The fish didn't look happy impaled on my spear, and I thought it best to dispatch him ASAP, but how? I decided to swim back to shore with the fish still writhing on my spear. On the beach, I took him off of my spear and my girlfriend and I looked at him wondering what to do. I didn't have a knife with me. I tried spearing him again through the head, but he still was alive (I supposed I missed the brain). So, my question is:

What is the correct technique for killing a speared fish? How can I do this effectively and safely in the water? Any other tips/comments for me?

I appreciate the advice. I can say that after spearing my first fish (and grilling and eating him!) I am hooked on the sport. I'll never forget the feeling I had when I speared the first fish, and I'm going to be spending many hours in the water chasing that high again!

-Fatman

Reactions: Whopperhead
Fatman-

may I call you fatman? Get yourself a knife. or Long Nail. When Dispatching fish do it from the top of their head, in the middle just past the eyes. Also, You may want to look into fishing regulations for your area. I know in the states, There are certain fish you can and cannot spear. Some areas don't allow spearing AT ALL. Learn what type of fish you can spear and their anatomy. Might help locate their brian. You can also dispatch fish by getting their spine. I'm sure others will chime in. Happy Hunting! Dive Safe.

Oh, Congrats on spearing your first fish! :D

LittleFatMan I reckon Scott has just about covered it there with the stab the brain or snap/cut the spine the other one would be the gills you can always give the gills a good rubbing although this isn’t as quick as the other methods.

Without the knife...I guess by ripping the gills out with your fingers.

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks for the advice! I'm one step closer to at least looking like I know what I am doing.

I plan on getting a knife the next time I get to a sporting goods store. Seems to be a basic necessity. In the mean time, a long nail will have to suffice. A quick question, how does one go about ripping the gills out?

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any regulations on which type of fish I can spear. The only regulation is that I can't use a spear gun, only a pole spear. That's because the whole island chain I live on is a nature preserve, and they've barred spear guns, but pole spears won't get me in trouble. I appreciate the warning though!

And yes, please feel free to call me Fatman!

Also, while in the water, what is a safe way to grab the speared fish before killing it? I've read that some fish have spines along their backs or tails that can be dangerous. Is their a surefire method of grabbing the speared fish while avoiding the spines?

Thanks

-Fatman

To grab the fish secure- I do one of two things:

1. stick my fingers in the gills (both) from under the head.

2. Hold on to the spear next to the body. Sometime i have to grab the tail if it is thrashing around- it will tire eventually.

I've never ripped the gills out of a fish- but I have notice they damage easily. So, Just reach inside the gills from the OUTSIDE of the fish grab on to the red/pink gills and tug or rub your hand agaisnt the gill plate and that will destroy the gills.

I've been speared by the dorsal fin of Carp. It wet through my suit and drew blood. So, I shot his family :D

Reactions: spaghetti
I find that for some fish, it's easier to put the knife up into the brain through the gill area. Just go up the gill slit, stick the knife where the brain is, and swirl around a bit until the mouth relaxes open. Some fish have hard bones on their skulls and it can be tough getting a knife through from the top.
I don't like to see anything dying slowly, so I kill the fish immediately.

Reactions: spaghetti
LFM,

Good info from all of these guys....A quickly dispatched fish will also TASTE much better too. :p

All of Earth's creatures - Even the ones that taste good - deserve a quick death!
Especially if it is at our hand. :)

Good on ya man...And congrats on 'yer first!

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik and spaghetti
Yes as Erik I too prefer poking the brain down to up or through the gill. It all depends on the anatomy of each fish: some have a skull so hard that it's difficult to make a hole in.
Fatman you're welcome I love to see japanese people on this board.
BUT: as Whopper said, get some infos about regulation and about fish before.
I tell you a brief story: today 12th of March 2008, it's my 20th spearfishing anniversary :friday. HURRA'!!!! :friday
In facts it was March 12th 1988 when I speared my first fish. I was very happy and excited just like you, and bragged with the fish in triumph in a sort of parade in the town's main square.
BUT I didn't know what species of fish it was...so when an old fisherman in the square came by and told me it was a very rare, endangered and protected species, I felt very, very embarassed.
Fortunately, the old fisherman was just pulling my leg, he was making joke on me: the fish was not of any protected species. I felt relief about that. But then another fishermen told me that it was the worst tasting fish of all. And unfortunately that was true....it was a small mediterranean reef fish whose latin/scientific name says it all: turdus turdus....rofl
After 20 years, I may say: the more you know and learn about the sea and about fish, the more you'll have fun and satisfaction from spearfishing!!! learn, learn and learn. We will be happy to be your buddies.
Friendly,
Spaghetti

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik
LittleFatMan, what a great name. Welcome. To paraphrase Jasper Carrot: "there's only one way to kill a bass": Bass-o-matic '76
(Small, pointy kitchen knife/skewer/sharpened screwdriver/stick/...).

Last edited:
Reactions: podge and spaghetti
look at all those answers fatman! even a great story from spago (turdus turdus, hahaha). You'll find all the answers here. Post some picture of your area and catches, it sounds amazing.

most spearos on DB are "softies" like me and like to get the killing job done ASAP. The Ike Spike was invented in Japan I think, it is instant and easy, and mentioned above in various forms. Here is my diy version http://forums.deeperblue.net/diy-homemade/71774-iki-spike-stringer-combo.html

It's easy to know when it works because the fishes mouth will suddenly drop open, although some fish are really hard to kill!

Good luck

I scanned through here kinda quick, so this may have Bean covered. Some fish, it's better to bleed them out rather than killing them quick. For example, Hawaii Skin Diver Magazine did an article on Yellow Tails and the author talked of cutting the gills and bleeding out the fish, then gutting it while still in the water. All to preserve the meat. Once the YT senses danger, it's urine goes into it's blood stream (if I recall correctly). That will taint the meat if it is not removed.

I don't know what species around Japan might require this, but putting it out there for others to comment on.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice, and the encouragement. It is really nice to know that there is a friendly online community here that is more than willing to give advice and welcome newbies like me with open arms!

Today, when I got home from work, there was a package waiting for me. Inside was my first wetsuit! It cost me the equivalent of $30 USD. It isn't that pretty and it isn't that new, but I am psyched to get into the water with it. I've got the day off tomorrow, and plan to spend the whole day at the beach, in the water. With any luck, I'll be putting some of what I have learned from this thread to use on a fish!

-FatMan

Fatman- Take some pics of your fish if you can. We all like seeing pics :D

Fatman fish with dangerous spikes in japan.
Watch out for Magochi (flathead) they have some natsy spikes. Don't really know how much they hurt though never been stuck by one, bit hard to find if your a newbie so don't worry.
However one fish you might get is called Ishidai (japanese knife jaw) The spikes are not dangerous but they have a few on the top fin. I've been spiked many times by these. They do hurt when you are not ready for it, like when they are on your stringer and the spikes bump into your leg. (wire or thin rope attached to your belt to hold your fish)

As for regulations. Areas differ a lot. Where I live you can take any fish, but you can't take any shellfish, Kombu or octapus.

In other areas you can take anything. Towards Okinawa more tropical waters I think they have more regulations on fish.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi fatman, all the answers above work good depending on fish and condition.Good luck on your first fish and your venture into the blue.

Personally i always shoot for a clean shot always.
If i dont stone a fish i normally bleed them by pull out the gills.
But on larger pelajics this sumtimes wont work for a bit as they fight harder and you will need to use a knife to disarm them.

just back on the head from the eyes draw a triangle and on the other point is where the brain is. take a quick stab and a turn there and hes a gonner.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT