• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to make a teak roller gun more buoyancy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Any other ideas how to make a gun more buoyancy

• Deferent material, Styrofoam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balsa wood

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Marco van Wyk

Feb 28, 2014
PB050143.JPG
PB050147.JPG

Hi there..long time...its a peace of aluminum with ends blocked of.
Checked it in fresh water, put the gun with most the stainless steel parts on it
Was floating till i put the ss real on.... put the tube under the blank in the water.
That was before removing all that wood. going to test today again.

Here is a pic of most the components...:D...now you can undrestand my problem...or one of them.
PB060148.JPG

I am a bit of an sucker for bling....:)

Here is a pic of the blank in the making...Rhodesian teak..50% heavier than Burma teak...the real thing.
IMG-20160820-WA0001.jpeg

Did a few weighing tests…going to try and gain max bouncy with the first one….going for Styrofoam.

I already made a few blanks with this Teak, so will have to do the same with the rest.

Epoxy the inside, wait to dry and then install a high density Styrofoam, and epoxy again when installing the lid.

If anyone done something similar, or got any better idée…would like to hear.
PB070151.JPG

With lid on…no Styrofoam yet….waiting to dry.
PB070152.JPG
Lid only for pic......leaving it of to dry. :sleep:

Hi there sharkey…never heard of that stuff before….did some research on it.

Looks like great stuff, if not to expensive.

When I build model planes long back, I used to use filler that is extremely light.

Was very pricey and not sure what it will do in water under pressure.

But this stuff seems to be the right thing for water and pressure.

Already installed the high density Styrofoam in this one.

The foam does not even move the scale and the aluminum weighs 285 grams.

Need to make up for my stainless real.:D
PB080156.JPG
PB080157.JPG

Don’t want to bore you too much with my sad story.

Next morning up early shaping the basic shape with the router.

Four hours later…want to take off another 0.2mm off one side…forgot to tighten the holding screws.

Run right across the centre of all my work.:cry:

The closes seeing a grown man cry…why….why…why.:(

Thought that’s it for the day….week… month…year….

Walked in and out the workshop a few times, decide to put it thru the planer/thicknesses and remove all the evidence.

Cut and plane a new piece for the top, thought can just as well epoxy it back on again…felt a bit better.

That evening a read Foxfish story about building that nice carbon gun.

I tried epoxying one off my guns, think re-done it three times….nearly there.

Reactions: foxfish
Only a few weeks ago I had a real cry for several hours! In fact I still have not recovered :cry:
I had built a beautiful guitar & had it hanging up by the neck in my little shed while I applied some spray lacquer.
I sprayed it, went to have a cup of tea and went back in the shed to give it another coat but, the guitar was lying on the concrete floor ... very badly damaged!

A few seconds after it happened, a thought went thru my mind,

With the amount of guns u build…wonder how many times this kind of thing happened to you.

This is the one busy coating with epoxy, and the Mahogany blank.

This blank I’ have left an open space in the middle, 20 x 28
PB110168.JPG
x 90mm,

Left a square hole for poring epoxy to seal the inside, and then install a plug.

Incase it leaks, can drain the water.

Here is the one with the Styrofoam in….now flouts like a boat.

Will check it tomorrow with all the stainless parts strapped to it.

Had to loose at least 30% of its weight, just to be equal to the Burma teak.

Then some more for my stainless bearings and SS real.

Been testing roller guns with ceramic bearings and ss ones.

Actually prefer the ss ones…the aluminum rollers is not the ideal,

They get a bit white after a lot of diving, but run very smooth
PB110170.JPG

Don’t know about you more experience gun builders…..Wood workers.

I use a router first, then angle grinder, then a rasp file, then sandpaper and sand paper and sand paper and……:):)
PB110169.JPG

Reactions: foxfish
Looking great!
I use a small block plane and sandpaper to get shape, I do sometimes use a girnder with a sanding disc but it is all to easy to take off to much. I take the sandpaper down from 60-240 grit
I use one coat of epoxy on the bare wood and then two pack poly for around 6-7 coats.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT