• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to prevent water from flushing the ears

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Homerkp

Sep 21, 2018
Does anyone know how to prevent water from flushing in and out of the ears while diving? I happens to me several times over the course of a couple hours, always to just one of my ears, and it seems to cause irritation over time.

Last edited:
not a clear question. Do you mean, how to prevent water from entering ear canal? It is possible, there are ear plug and gel plugs, but you will not be able to equalize. You probably meant something else. Can you re-phrase your question?

You know how you can stick a rubber sucker to your car windshield? I'm not sure how it works but it's something like removing the air between the sucker and the glass surface that allows it to stick. And it usually requires moisture. Something similar happens between my ear and the wet suit. I think the removal and re-entry of air between my ear and the wetsuit creates a suction effect, and sometimes this causes the water there to flush into and out of my ear with more force, because the suction is in effect. It even makes a sound. This doesn't always happen. It didn't happen yesterday. But when it does it seems to aggravate the inner ear more. I'm sure this has happened to someone else but I'm not sure of the best way to describe it.

aha, that one, It happens to me on occasion. It is either mask strap being too tight and going over the ear. Or snorkel tucked under the strap and over the ear, that could be what is causing it. Not sure though. I never paid much attention to this, when it happen I simply re-arrange the hood or strap, all it takes. But then, maybe we are still talking about different things.

Not sure if this will help but i usually let in water to my hood and let it fill my ears, so when i dive i don't feel like my hood is plunging my ear, i do this just before my warm up dive, then i dive down and equalize and that sets me up for my day as a warm up, i also had my ears cleaned out at a nose and ear doctor which i think would help too

I had this problem with an Omer suit, my eventual solution was to put small holes in the hood near my ears and wear vented ear plugs. This for me was a worthwhile trade off with regards temperature regulation. Dive safe

That's what I use, they are perfect, I had very temperamental ears. They work like a dream.

I had water entering my ear twice when teaching my nephew how to snorkel and each time I had a lined wetsuit on with a bibed hood that has air holes at the top. However when I wear my open cell wetsuit I never have this problem so it could just be that the open cell hood creates a better water tight seal preventing water entery.

I don't understand the question that what you exactly want to ask. If you have water in your ears then you can take the following steps to get it out safely.
  • Dry your outer ear with a soft towel or cloth. Don’t stick the cloth into the canal.
  • Tip your head to one side to help water drain. Gently pull on your earlobe. This will straighten your ear canal and help the water flow.
  • Turn your blow dryer on the lowest setting and blow it toward your ear. Hold it at least a foot away.
  • Try over-the-counter drying drops.
  • To make drying drops at home, mix 1 part white vinegar to 1 part rubbing alcohol. Pour 1 teaspoon of the solution into each ear; tilt your head and let it drain out.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT