• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to remove the saftey out of a Sea Hornet Mech

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jayke

Jan 10, 2010
i need to mesure the mech to see if it will fit in my wooden gun and i cant seen to figure out how to remove the saftey?

Better late than never, plus others may have pondered the same question.

Here is how to take the "Sea Hornet" mechanism out of the gun. Push the safety knob down to expose the small wire circlip on the end of the safety shaft and pop it off with a small screwdriver blade. The knob is sprung loaded, so it will push down with not too much effort. Pull the knob off plus the spring and flat washer underneath it. Push the safety shaft down and out in the opposite direction as it has a D-shaped shaft, but only on the safety knob side, so you need to push it down as the shaft is engaged into a matching D-shaped hole in the safety cam which is hidden inside the cassette. The trigger safety cam will then fall out, you will see the D-shaped hole in it. Then using the removed safety shaft as a drift you can use a plastic faced hammer to drive out the mechanism pins, there is one at each end. Once the mechanism pins are knocked out pull the trigger back to disengage its lower hook from the auto line release in the finger grip and prise the mechanism cassette up and out of the handgrip. Finger pressure should pull it out, the cassette is a snug rather than a tight fit. You can then push out the two short mechanism pivot pins, they may even fall out, then the two mechanism levers will come out of the cassette. If the spring is inside there you will see it, it is a slightly curved piece of strip steel material. Position all the removed parts on the outside of the cassette using the mechanism fixing pins as temporary pivot pins (they are longer than the pivot pins) so that you can see how it all fits together and operates. The safety cam fits in the gun so that its rounded edge revolves near the forward "post" on the cassette housing, the curved edge gives it a constant clearance from the post as the cam turns. The two flats visible on the cam are "safe" and "fire" positions where the cam abuts the front of the trigger. Looking down from the top of the gun when it is in use, rolling the safety knob forwards should set the cam to "fire", rolling it back towards you sets it to "safe". A handy memory aid is "back safe" and "forward to fire". Once the levers and spring are installed properly inside the cassette push the cassette back into the handgrip. Then you reinstall the two mechanism fixing pins, just gently tap them in with the aid of the safety shaft and hammer as before. Now that you know which way around the safety cam goes insert it into the cassette from underneath and just in front of the trigger. It takes a bit of fiddling around to get the cam in exactly the right place so that when you push the D-shaped end of the safety shaft through the hole in the handgrip, which of course will also line up on the one in the cassette, it will then pass through the safety cam. Reassemble the flat washer, spring and safety knob in the reverse order to how you took them off, then put the circlip back on. Hint: watch out for the circlip flying off, they are very easy to lose! The grass in my rear yard holds a large number of them, I lost so many that I eventually bought a bag of spare ones. Attached photo has Sea Hornet mechanism on left, right hand side is some clone I found a few years back, but never found out who made it. Springs are not fitted in the photo as they pop out unless they are trapped inside the cassette, to install them in the cassette you just engage the sear end and push the spring in and it will snap into place in the back of the trigger.
Sea Hornet mech comparison 1.jpg

S.H. MECH VERSIONS.jpg

safety cam setting Sea Hornet R.jpg

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT