• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to start Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi, I had a questions regarding making a neckweight, please elt me know if this is the correct place to post such and such.

I wanted to know if these bags of weight are fine for making a neckweight. I have no clue and idea as per the dimensions of the pellets/weights/shot inside these bags. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Lead-Shot-Soft-Weights/dp/B0000E1LDI/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1334401694&sr=1-7"]Amazon.com: Aqua Lead Shot Soft Weights - 3 Lbs: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/311GE03WHML.@@AMEPARAM@@311GE03WHML[/ame] ... Could you please tell me if they will be small enough and big enough for making a neck weight 1.5-2.0 kgs in weight.
I understand that for larger weights larger tubes are required and one could procure different kinds (sizes) of lead shot(??). However, I'm just a beginner and I need to experiment with the weight as I progress.
Last summer I did not have lead shot with me, even now, so I made a proper neckweight with something that looked like lead shot, round metal balls of sorts, however that didn't work. I swam a good 2.5 lenghts without that though, and couldn't practice much with that weight as it didn't last, lots of problems. So I have made a neckweight before, and it worked more than fine! However, I cannot tell from behind a computer screen if these soft bags will be correct for making a neckweight (more so what's inside them). I see that they're probably used for a weightbelt. I plan to remove them from the bags and use them. I cannot procure open bags of lead shot from nearby where I live. As a result I have to pay a considerable sum for shipping(international shipping) Some of the tutorials I have come across use lead shot form 10kg bags, or 25 lbs, such as this one.

Could someone please clarify the above:confused:? Also, are there cheaper websites to procure lead shot from for someone living in Southeast Asia?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Dear dncdjemj, use the DB searchengine and find the topic of how to make neckweight. I think you can find websites if you use the word "neckweight" and "how to" in an internet searchengine.

People use al sorts of weights, and find it in various places, like using air rifle shot, fischlead. India is a big place there must be a scuba school, fishstore, hunting rifle store there. If you're totally out of options, you can even melt rooflead and poor drops in water to create you own lead-balls. If you close up the neckweight well, then you can use exposed raw lead.

Last edited:
hello sai, streching your core muscles is a good way to start. another is breathe out all the way and tighten your core muscle to push the air out.

then, breathe in and relax your core muscles to let a lot of air in.

hello dncdjemj, I created my neckweight using those (5kgs of those ) because I believe the are more rust proof then pure led.

those soft weight pouches just have small round weights in them. they look like bearing balls about the size of a pin head.(not the point, the other part)

like Kars said, they are not the only way of doing things. have you tried using dirt or sand(packed sand gets reavy after a while)? if you make it waterproof the weigth wound change under water.

good luck,
Guy

Dear dncdjemj, use the DB searchengine and find the topic of how to make neckweight. I bet you even find websites if you use the word "neckweight" and "how to" in an internet searchengine.

People use al sorts of weights, and find it in various places, like using air rifle shot, fischlead. India is a big place there must be a scuba school, fishstore, hunting rifle store there. If you're totally out of options, you can even melt rooflead and poor drops in water to create you own lead-balls. If you close up the neckweight well, then you can use exposed raw lead.

Hey, thanks for replying. I was just wondering if the rifle shot would make the weight chunky/crunchy, as in not being able to round off the edges and make the weight round, as in the tutorial above.

hello dncdjemj, I created my neckweight using those (5kgs of those ) because I believe the are more rust proof then pure led.

those soft weight pouches just have small round weights in them. they look like bearing balls about the size of a pin head.(not the point, the other part)

like Kars said, they are not the only way of doing things. have you tried using dirt or sand(packed sand gets reavy after a while)? if you make it waterproof the weigth wound change under water.

good luck,
Guy

Hey, thanks for replying. Are you referring to the aqua weights in the link I posted above ,as in, did you use those? If so could you possibly tell me the size of the pellets/shot and if it was perfectly or nearly round? I was reading a few reviews and I read that they do not mention the size anywhere.

What is the average size of the shot (what should it be)? I would guess it would be anywhere between 3 and 4 mm, which acc. to wikipedia is size 2-6.
If I manage to get the lead weights from around, I would like to know what is a good size to make a good, reliable weight. As stated above, I have previously made a neckweight, quite successfully, and used iron pellets, which ended up rusting, and I had to throw away the weight altogether.

Lead with sharp points is not practical, because .... it may pierce the rubber.
The size of the lead pellet isn't important at all, though I would prefer equal or smaller then 6mm. Could you not sent your potential suppliers and email, or give them a ring to find out the properties of their merchandise?

How to make on neckweight in short:
Fill it tight, pull the tyre through the clip, glue seal the tyre closed and then fault back and use a tierip to secure. Use some ducktape to wrap the returned end nicely around the weight. You can use another piece of tyre as a sleeve sliding over the end to make it look very nice. It's easy when you think your needs and possibilities trough, apply http://www.triviumeducation.com/ method.

Here a PDF turorial:
http://www.aucklandfreediving.co.nz/web_documents/neck-weight.pdf
Here another tutorial:
Making a Freediving Neck Weight « Enjoy Freediving Blog
And yet another:
Making a freediving neck weight

With some training you can also participate at the World Championships as the first Indian! - I think the Indian breath-hold legends would be a sight to behold at the championship.

Love, Courage and water.

Kars

Very good tutorial: Making a freediving neck weight
Smaller diameter leadshot is better, because it can fit more in than bigger leadshot, its a fact, i have tried :)

That is the one I followed, very basic, no tape. Also, initially I had to adjust the weight and experiment with it, so that worked out best.

hello dncdjemj.
I used this one: Lumb Lead shot dive weights - From £6.64 - Mike's Dive Store, Chiswick, London

and the shots where small really small. like 1-2mm.

but, cant you use the same technic you used before but try to make the neck weight waterproof?

like wrap it with seran wrap and then eletrical tape ?

I will try that but I'm guessing those iron pellets will rust sooner or later.

Does using wrap and tape actually waterproof the weight, any experience with it? How would you check? You'd have to open the entire weight and re-do it, that is after you've opened it a numebr of times and adjusted the weight.

Lead with sharp points is not practical, because .... it may pierce the rubber.
The size of the lead pellet isn't important at all, though I would prefer equal or smaller then 6mm. Could you not sent your potential suppliers and email, or give them a ring to find out the properties of their merchandise?

How to make on neckweight in short:
Fill it tight, pull the tyre through the clip, glue seal the tyre closed and then fault back and use a tierip to secure. Use some ducktape to wrap the returned end nicely around the weight. You can use another piece of tyre as a sleeve sliding over the end to make it look very nice. It's easy when you think your needs and possibilities trough, apply http://www.triviumeducation.com/ method.

Here a PDF turorial:
http://www.aucklandfreediving.co.nz/web_documents/neck-weight.pdf
Here another tutorial:
Making a Freediving Neck Weight « Enjoy Freediving Blog
And yet another:
Making a freediving neck weight

With some training you can also participate at the World Championships as the first Indian! - I think the Indian breath-hold legends would be a sight to behold at the championship.

Love, Courage and water.

Kars

Yeah, I followed the last one for reasons stated above.

I'll look forward to that, if I get some time apart form studies then I'm sure I will be.

I use 1/2 lb lead chicklets on a nylon strap with a clasp that are often used for scuba ankle weights.

I find them to be very streamlined and it is easy to adjust, if needed (salt be fresh water, etc.)

I have another question concerning the neckweight, more to do with what I have read about lead poisoning and the use of led weights.

Could someone please inform me if using a neckweight made of led shot in a pool is safe, and if you would advise using it? I have been reading material concerning how led reacts with cholrinated water and causes led poisoning. Could someone advise me if it is safe to do so or not?

The led is not going to be rubbing against my skin, but in the tube, which will definitely not be opening anytime, causing the led to go all over the floor of the pool. Considering that, could someone tell me a little more? If it is true that led reacts with the water and can lead to problems for people swimming in the pool, then should I be considering taking my neckweight into someone elses pool and also using it myself?

To be frank, the amount of lead in the neck-weight is nothing compared to all the lead in the environment. Until just a few years ago, lead was used as an additivum for motor fuel and freely released into the athmosphere. Although it is now forbidden (at least in the EU), the millions of tons of lead are still free in the nature, in the food chain, and everywhere you look. And just few years earleir drinking water pipes were done in lead, and in many places these old installations are still existing. So the few pellets closed in a rubber tube of your neckweight are really nothing. Still, I recommend using tripple tubes, and reparing the outer tube anytime you see it is damaged.

Last edited:
To be frank, the amount of lead in the neck-weight is nothing compared to all the lead in the environment. Until just a few years ago, lead was used as an additivum for motor fuel and freely released into the athmosphere. Although it is now forbidden (at least in the EU), the millions of tons of lead are still free in the nature, in the food chain, and everywhere you look. And just few years earleir drinking water pipes were done in lead, and in many places these old installations are still existing. So the few pellets closed in a rubber tube of your neckweight are really nothing. Still, I recommend using tripple tubes, and reparing the outer tube anytime you see it is damaged.

Tripple tubes as in three tubes:head?

Does that matter? A lot of children and people younger than me swim in the pool/s I swim in. I am 20+.

I ask because to me you come across as a uncertain person, and or very inexperienced. A well sealed inner tube does not let's the water get in touch with the lead inside, thus the lead cannot poison you, very, very simple logic.
There are enough people who use uncoated lead in pools, me too, and it's NO problem. I don't have the lead on my skin though. If you feel 1 tyre is a bit weak, use a 2nd, tape, etc to make something stronger. I assume these advices are totally unnecessary because you can think of these yourself.

Forgive me for my dishonourable attitude, I think I sometimes get fed up explaining the most elementary logic down to the simplest levels and I get the feeling the other side is hardly putting any effort in thinking things through, as witnessed by a follow up of even more basic questions. It's for me difficult to believe I'm actually communicating with an serious adult, to whom I can entrust information with confidence that it's being used wisely and we do not end up with another Darwin award candidate. Freediving is not recommended for people who do not think things through, for those it's a recipe for disaster, just like flying a plane for them would be.

I probably will get some bad rep for this post, but the need to ventilate my frustration was to big. I hope people can read past my dark thoughts and learn from it, like I need to do.

Last edited:
Yes tripple tube is better than a double tube, but a sinlge tube is definitely not enough. With a single tube a minor scratch and you lose all the pellets at the bottom of the pool (or the sea, boat, etc). Better safe than sorry. The tubes cost almost nothing, and it does not add any significant time to make it properly.

One tube + electrical tape is more than enough! :)

I ask because to me you come across as a uncertain person, and or very inexperienced. A well sealed inner tube does not let's the water get in touch with the lead inside, thus the lead cannot poison you, very, very simple logic.
There are enough people who use uncoated lead in pools, me too, and it's NO problem. I don't have the lead on my skin though. If you feel 1 tyre is a bit weak, use a 2nd, tape, etc to make something stronger. I assume these advices are totally unnecessary because you can think of these yourself.

Forgive me for my dishonourable attitude, I think I sometimes get fed up explaining the most elementary logic down to the simplest levels and I get the feeling the other side is hardly putting any effort in thinking things through, as witnessed by a follow up of even more basic questions. It's for me difficult to believe I'm actually communicating with an serious adult, to whom I can entrust information with confidence that it's being used wisely and we do not end up with another Darwin award candidate. Freediving is not recommended for people who do not think things through, for those it's a recipe for disaster, just like flying a plane for them would be.

I probably will get some bad rep for this post, but the need to ventilate my frustration was to big. I hope people can read past my dark thoughts and learn from it, like I need to do.

That's allright, thanks for your positive and critical feedback. I appreciate your help.

Yes tripple tube is better than a double tube, but a sinlge tube is definitely not enough. With a single tube a minor scratch and you lose all the pellets at the bottom of the pool (or the sea, boat, etc). Better safe than sorry. The tubes cost almost nothing, and it does not add any significant time to make it properly.

Thanks for replying and for the advice. You're very correct, tape and tube costs next to nothing. Even two cable ties can be used.

I came across this thread (and other articles) which got me a little worried, therefore I had to inquire.

Reactions: Kars
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT