• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to start Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Interesting beginer info! but is not enough for someone who wants to start freediving....
If you want to start freediving...go for the proper education with professionals!
Regarding Packing...is a very advanced technique that practised in the wrong way or without control can produce lung injuries!
Packing for dives shallower than 60 ms...stupid short cut!
About the tables...O2 tables...placebo...CO2 tables...i would adjust the breath up times to make it more challenging!
Practice Apnea walks! much more efficient...less time!
For all of you guys who found salvation on this post....you should recognize that freediving is a safe sport as long as it Is learned and practice in a proper way....you wouldnt learn parachuting ...in a post...so why do you want to risk it when you are in the water....TAKE A FREEDIVING COURSE FOR YOUR OWN SAFE AND YOUR BUDDIES!

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. I've read a lot on the physiology of breath-hold diving. The "breathe-up" still confuses me as it compares to hyperventilation. Hyperventilation = increased minute volume (i.e. volume of air breathed in a minute thus any increase in rate OR TIDAL VOLUME). All abdominal and deep breathing exercises to my understanding decrease pCO2 and delay respiratory drive during the breath hold. I did a "breathe-up" for about 2 minutes and static apnoea while sitting connected to a SaO2 monitor and my O2 sats dropped to 85% after 2min30sec..( I was experiencing strong contractions at the time) This makes me nervous for pushing my limits in the water, especially at depth due to the reverse gas exchange of O2 during ascent.
Anybody know of courses in Southern Africa?

Last edited:
Which Breathe Up are you referring to? There are several ones depending on what you are going to do. E.g. the Yogic Breathe Up as taught in SSI or Four Section Breathing.

Regarding the Physiology of Freediving:

Contractions are just a support of your body and induces an internal breathing. Simply put it stirs around the remaining air in your lungs so that oxygen can get in the blood cells again. As this effect triggers the Mammalian Dive Reflex even more. Pushing it too much actually can lead to a blackout or hypoxia, which should be avoided at all costs.

Greetings all, i am totally new to freediving. I am registered in a freediving course to be held in Seattle in late june.
I have a question. I have been doiing the tables, and i can do the full set of CO2 to.erance and O2 deprivation for a max breath hold time of 6:18, but the longest I have ever actually held my breath is about 5:30
I use the "breath hold" app on my iPhone. Should i be able to work up to a max breath hold equal to the indicated max breath hold time in the app?
Is there a better app or something I could be using?
By the way, i never actually try to see how long I can hold my breath, i just do the training tables a couple times a week, and i am hoping to work up to being able to do the table with a max hold of 6 min.
Advice?

Hello people I'm new to free diving and spearfishing looking for some new friends that's could show me a couple things and go diving with

You can look on youtube and also search the web for some great stuff :)

Best regards Youbuur
--------------------------------------------
Check out my freediving channel on youtube.
[ame]http://youtu.be/U2wGLXjEJv0[/ame]

Reactions: Kars
Really love it. Very informative and useful training for new beginners like me. It reminds me of my 1st diving training. I've been started diving since college times but stopped been a while. ;)

Very nice document, but I miss mention of the breathhold walk exercises, both on full and empty lungs. Some (read Aharon) say that those are probably even more efective than training CO2 tables.

Also, there is a VERY instructive video by freediving instructor Aharon Solomons on the frenzel maneuver. It can be found on youtube, here's the link:

Given that this post is a STICKY - perhaps a revision of a kind should/could be done. The first post is from 2006, last edited 2007...

OR perhaps it should not be a sticky anymore. But some of the information is a bit outdated.

(Akoni first post - haven't been here since 2011)

@Stephan Whelan

@Stephan Whelan - no response to my previous post???

I like the concept of a "sticky", but if information (partly) is outdated, a decision about it would be a good idea I think!

Finaly came across a forum with after so many videos and videos.

Love this outline of beginner's guide.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT