• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How was your first free diving course experience?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

C0nsiderthe0dds

Apr 11, 2015
What I'm looking for...
What was your breath hold before you took the course?

What depth could you do before the course?

What kind if breath hold afterwards?

What kind of depth afterwards?
I know everyone is different. I would just like to see what others are doing. I will be taking my first course this June and am looking forward to it. I can currently hold for over 1:30 now and have only tried going to 20' to show my wife conchs in the keys. I was able to swim at 20' for about 10-15' before having to come back up. Can't wait to see how far I can take this new step.

Last summer, end of august, I did pure apnea level 1 course (and I just returned from level 2 course). Before that I didn't do any diving training whatsoever.

I was able to hold my breath for about 1:45 (dry static) and I'm not sure about the depth, but maybe around 10meters (both without proper breath up, relaxation, etc, ...).

During the course, my instructor pushed me to about 3:35 (in the water) and I was easily able to fullfill the depth limit for the certification, which was 14meters, in the dark water, while not having proper equipment (meaning ordinary scuba fins and having the wetsuit so tight I was completely dry once I got out).

So I definitely recommend a course, because you will not only learn you real stats with proper technique, but you will also learn about safety, physiology, psychology, tranining techniques, etc.

Thanks for the detailed reply! That's exactly what I was looking for! Can't wait for the new road ahead.

To be honest I haven't heard of a bad freediving course.
I see you're interested in estimating your chances of 'numeric' success. I think you'll benefit more when you prepare well.

Preparation recommendations are:

Ask your instructor how to prepare for his class.
Read up about freediving on deeperblue, maybe the course material if you already got that.
Take notes of questions you encounter, to show to the instructor at the beginning and ask later.
If you have a specific interest in a forms of freediving, such as spearfishing, competition, recreational, photo communicate this to the instructor you're taking the class from so he can give specific tips and insights (it's likely he'll ask what part of freediving attracts you).
Be in good shape, but rested.
Have a no fuzz (no leakage) good mask, and good simple J-snorkel so you do not need to waste time adjusting.
Have clean sinuses / ears. If your tubes are warm, open and flexible, equalisation is going to be easy. Search for equalisation tips, prep and training.
If you're a good swimmer you'll have an advantage. If you're am average or bad swimmer, brushing up your swim technique and strength will help. The freedive instructor shall help you to adapt and tune your technique to freediving; which uses a different technique because we want relaxed efficiency instead of stressed speed.

Most importantly:
Put away expectations of numbers. Freediving is a strange sport, where thinking of numbers actually makes reaching them much, much harder. You see numbers breed expectations, and those trigger constant mental evaluations and judgements which costs heaps of energy and distract you from relaxing and concentrating on the import things, like equalisation, swimming, posture, feeling the water, etc.

You're about to embark on a journey of exploration, and you'll have a course that can safe you years of (dangerous) trial and error. I recommend that you aim for learning and relaxing. When you do the fun and numbers will be in their wake.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

If the instructor is good, you will get out of the course what you need most, plus a bunch of other good stuff you didn't even know you wanted. What that will be for you, I haven't a clue.

In my case, I did not gain significant depth, but I learned how to dive 30 meters safely and easily. That was what I came for. I could do that before the course, but recognized that it wasn't even close to safe. As an addition goodie, my dive time went up 15 or 20 seconds, and most important, I learned how to dive safe and was convinced to actually dive that way.

Kars is right, forget the numbers, concentrate on learning technique and relaxing.

kars speaks the truth... By focusing on numbers allready (wich we all tend to do) you have already set your development back a bit most likely... But since you are only just taking the step towards your first course, you haven't been taught that yet :) I'm a numbers guy also, so I totally understand the curiosity. But now you got some feedback anyway. Have a nice course :)

I'm not concerned in the least with what I will or can do, no matter what the outcome I absolutely love the water, always have and always will. I have always been good with blocking things out and being completely relaxed, so I know I'll have no problem focusing in the moment. Just want to see what others have done. I already have a solid basis for the sport. I'm an extremely strong swimmer, and scuba on a regular basis. I have been on or around the water since I can remember. thanks for all the info guys, I've been looking Into this for over a year. I'm the type to learn as much as I can before I dive into something, pun intended...I enjoy learning new things whether I use them or not. Keep the posts coming, I have too much time on my hand these days.

Reactions: Kars
You'll enjoy your level 1 course quite a bit. Are you taking it through FII or PFI?

Allright, first course was at Apnea total:
- I did some home-training a few weeks prior to my first ever course, and reached 5:04 morning-couch static, right out of bed (I really hit a good day there, jumping at least a minute). During the course I did a 5:17 wet (ocean) static. 2 years later 5:48 competition static (I've done very few real max-attempts).
- Randomly snorkelig on a holiday I'd been at 10-12 m, but no reel test there before. During course day one and two 12m and 20m (max allowed), but continuing next days on next level I did 32m cwt, and a 32m no-fins on day 5 or 6 (probably the most unpleasent thing I have done in my life). No depth for a year, but next year did 55m with mono during competition. Year after 70m free immersion/40 no-fin.
- Pool was not part of it at first.

Pretty good stuff baiyoke! Thanks for sharing. I'm doing my course through FII since it is the only thing close. My local dive shop captain planned it since he wants to take the course also.

Please also note that for many beginners huge improvements are possible. Because a lot of the physiological foundation is in your body allready. It's no mumbo-jumbo... It's true. For static it's probably mostly due to mental factors. For dynamic pool disciplines (dyn/dnf) there's also a lot of movement-technique and gear adjustment possible. But for depth... There are just sooo many technical aspects. And people differ a lot in when and what kind of challenges they meet. Also depth can injure you if not carefull, so the safety aspect is different from an internal point of view. That is not to say that you can not go and dive deep without a ton of training. But you will most likely meet some tecnical difficulty somewhere. Like me; I did 32m pretty early, doing handsfree equalisation just doing it without learning. It came easy. But one week later I had difficulties at 16m!!! What??? That was because I had done something that I didn't really pay attention to. And in all the new things learned, I had stopped doing it again. I forgot to equalize the mask, and the soft palate got stuck at 16m. What I'm trying to say is, that there's a saying that goes "those who got an easy time at first, do not progress at the same rate as those who need to learn"... (or something like that). I think it's true, or can be true often. So learning basic stuff, and working with it, regardless of where we start out, has taken many people very far in this sport. Depth however is still my favorite disciplin, but I'm stuck in a pool allmost all the time and try to enjoy that too :)

As of now depth really isn't a concern with me. I used to have a 12-16hr physical work day and would then surf, or paddle if no waves, everyday after work. Now I'm at home with my kids all day and do nothing. This will give me a reason and drive to start getting back into good shape
Like I was previously. I quit smoking 2 years ago just in preparation for learning free diving. It's more to me than accomplishments really. I scuba dive also, and would prefer being in less than 40' I have no problem with depth, just enjoy the shallow waters more. It doesn't help that my current boat will only go 30 miles out safely. Which is still only 60 ft. here. I have more fun on scuba at the jetties here when you can get 3 ft of vis and 15-20' than in 40' with 30' vis. Just love the extra time you get to enjoy it!

I'm in an AIDA 2* course right now.
I had NO idea before how deep I could go.

I did do some nice (ONLY dry!) breathholds before, but I have no real "honest" reference since I hyperventilated for those (and that's why I have NEVER done any breathholds in the water, as hyperventilation is dangerous. Period.).

So, what am I learning here? SAFETY. Yes. By all means, above and before everything. Not alone and don't hyperventilate. To start with...

As you know, freediving is building up. Starting slow. And going slow too. Advancing at YOUR pace. Don't push or force it. I learned this the hard way with my first open water dive last Sunday (the second session in my course): I say "the hard way" because the water temperature was around 46-47 F and visibility was around 3-6 feet maximum. Thank God for that rope, hehe... :-/
(This was rather scary for me, as it was ONLY my third(!) open water dive in my entire life! And then, they ask me to do it on one breath whereas my first two open water dives were in clear warm water, on scuba!)

I achieved a depth of -12 m (that's around 39 feet). Not the required 16m (52.5 feet) but I'm still proud. Hope to do better in the next session. I learned to duck dive properly. Well, I know HOW to do it, but DOING it perfectly is still something else, lol. I need perfection on that one, as it is really important for the dive. It will make or break your dive downwards. (Going down streamlined and vertically and using less energy to start the dive with a good duck dive, your dive will be so much better.)

The first session I had in the course was a static session: again building up: starting with breathing exercises, diaphragm stretches and relaxation. And then a series of static apnea: first one until first contraction, second: first contraction + 15 seconds, third, first contraction + 30 seconds, then 2-3 min. rest and go for a maximum attempt. I got to 3:11 with contractions starting around 2:00 on that attempt.

Next up is more theory + exam and dynamic session in the pool. And then, the last session is open water again. Here's hoping for warmer and clearer water... ;-)

In short: a freediving course is HIGHLY recommended!

- What was your breath hold before you took the course?
5 minutes ( But I was interesting about freediving long time ago)

- What depth could you do before the course?
12 m

- What kind of breath hold afterwards?
5 minues

- What kind of depth afterwards?
25m

Also it improved my DYN and the most important thing is amount of information I got! Course is very good idea ;)

- breath hold before you took course: less than two minutes lying in bed

- what depth before course: around 12m unconfirmed

- what kind of breathold afterwards: more than 4 minutes dry

- what kind of depth afterwards: 16 m

Did a course last summer with freediving.biz, Sweden. A weekend course with lots of info and rather tight scedule, nice helpful instructors and nice fellow students, but just too much to comprehend/digest over a weekend.

And most courses I've looked at seem to be just that: very tight and short, 2-3 days maybe at most.

Being rather naive, I was thinking there would be "classes" somewhere whee you can start as beginner, train once every week or so and progress over time according to your ability under the supervision of a qualified instructor. Like when I did learn to drive: a lesson every week, practicing what was necessary, with instructor, until ready for drivers test.

No such thing, it seems. I wonder why not? Freediving is something that, according to my humble opinion, should be learnt over long time but with an instructor.

I did join the freediver section of a local diving club. The freedivers would meet every wednesday night at the local swimming hall for pool training. This was no organized freediving course, more of an opportunity to meet with others, find a buddy but conduct your own training under supervision of more experienced freedivers. And most did have way more experience than me.

Hi seacucomer,

In belgium Phillipe is teaching children in apnea classes. The focus there is fun and safety. Once a week.
I think the current model is used because these days people are very busy and having many hobies and media to watch. The main reason however is the size of the sport and the individual natures and wide skill level gaps. Freedivers very much like to explore their own ways. However if there was afreediving team close by I would be a happy member.

Yes courses have a lot of information in them,which I like because I feel I get good value. I think Sebastian is an excelent diver and explorer, but maybe he gives just a bit too much background reasoning for the entry level courses, or he is merely exceeding your expectation?
As an instructor myself I know dosing information is a challange, especially If you really want give as much as you can to your student. I would love to upload my 10 years of experience in an instance to you and see where you can take that, but I cannot. As you've learned freediven is a lot more deeper then snorkling.

Hello Kars,

Yes, me too think that Sebastian is a great instructor and explorer, no doubt about it. Probably was a bit too much background and just to much new experiences in one weekend. Many who do his courses return for just repeating. I felt I should have had a little bit more of both theory and practice before I came for the course. And an own wetsuit that fit me and that I was used to.

I found an instructor who gives remote coaching, has been great despite the fact that I'm quite busy myself and have had difficulty finding time for exercises. Just dry training so far, for water exercises I will have to get back to the freedivers club trying to find a buddy. Then I will know what water exercises to do, and have a buddy to check up on me. Feedback from instructor can be one through sending videos via the web.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT