• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
ok - took this pic from Spearfishing.com

How?!?!?!?!?! It's so clear, sharp, PERFECT! am I missing something? photo editor? just wow'd buy the clairity.

I don't think it's just the viz - we have 150ft+ at home and I've never seen pics this sharp.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
ambient light, shallow pt of reference, wide angle lens, shutter's stopped down a bit. cool pic.

Anderson

on second thought... look at the water outline around the bubbles. :hmm looks doctored to me.

A

What about the bright spot on the left glove?

Could be a strobe with a real slow film speed and a stopped down shutter. Most strobes get mounted on the left, but who knows?

If it was doctored, wouldn't they fix that are of washout?

Jon, look at the shadow angle in his mask. I don't think they even had a fill flash. :confused: I don't know what's up with the glove? :hmm

Anderson

Anderson,

If you look at the shadow in the left lens of his mask, the one on his chest form the fish, and the over exposed area on his left glove, I would think that he had a strobe go off on that side of his body.

Then again, it probably was doctored and you know way more about how to do that stuff than I do. :D

Jon

to add a new twist.....

As Dru pointed out..... Same Fish?

Last edited:
My guess is that they were shooting with 4x5 or larger transparency film and had a talented drum scanner who knew his color and how to scan. There is huge difference in color quality when drum scanning transparancy as opposed to slide film.

Can you get a housing for a camera that shoots transparancy film?

Lighting does not look doctored. Maybe they had a buddy shining a video light on the subject. ???

Sweet! :head

Reply to new twist. If its the same fish they passed it around or changed wetsuits!

That's not that uncommon DiverD - I always have friends who insist on taking their picture with my fish... :naughty

:hmm

Notice the Avanti tre's on the first pic. I think that is what they are, they don;t look like any omer fins that I know. With those small fins that guy had to be in clear and shallow water. THe pic could be doctored but they had to start with a med to good quality first pic.

Aquiles

dont worry...Im sure Andrsn will figure it out by the end of this week. He will have plenty of opportunities to take pics of me and my fish after all....then we can pass it around to Sven, Aquiles and Jay. 14 hrs to departure boys...

your future:king of the Kraze

Rig , I would say that I am firmly behind you ; but you know what these guys would do with that ...:D

Originally posted by rigdvr
dont worry...Im sure Andrsn will figure it out by the end of this week. He will have plenty of opportunities to take pics of me and my fish after all....then we can pass it around to Sven, Aquiles and Jay. 14 hrs to departure boys...

your future:king of the Kraze
rofl
Thanks again, th':king

My experience tells me this:

1) Shot with a wide angle to get close to the subject and used flash with a diffuser over it (Inon 100 w/a lens - digital, or 14-17mm lens on silver based film in housing with dome port)

2) Balanced flash to ambient light to make the water appear as it does

3) Could have been shot on either silver halide based film or 4+ megapixel digital camera in a housing.

Different fish?

For what its worth I reckon its a different fish.

Different markings behind the eye?

?:confused:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT