• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Howdy from Norcal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BWDave

Jan 27, 2007
Hey All, My name is Dave. I'm an abalone chaser and spearfisher from Northern California. Glad to meet everyone. Looks like a fun site!

It is :)
Welcome to DB!
Whereabouts in NorCal?

ill have to agree with sanso it is a awesome site :D welcome and have fun !!!

Hi Dave, welcome on board. Any pics of what you have caught ?

Welcome Dave. (Foxfish & the other Guernsey spearos sometimes write about "Ormers"...which are similar to abalone). There are several experienced Cal. spearos & freedivers on the forum (Bill McIntyre, Oldsarge, Batray,...) & several newbies too.

Thanks again for the welcome. I'm a bit behind the 8 ball with my pics. They're all film, and mostly abalone. I'll be scanning them soon and then I'll post. Unfortunately abalone pics are kind of boring; they just look like rocks.

I think the other cali guys you mention are at a much higher level than me, but I try.

What are Ormers? And Guernsey spearos? Are we talking somewhere in the British Isles? (excuse my geographic ignorance)

Dave

What are Ormers? And Guernsey spearos? Are we talking somewhere in the British Isles? (excuse my geographic ignorance)

Dave
Yes, Guernsey is one of the Channel Islands off the coast of France. Being part of the original Duchy of Normandy, they conquered Britain in 1066 and, through the monarch, they still own us (Britain). So I suppose you could say Britain is a colony of Guernsey. Interesting perspective.;) As far as I can tell, they are not part of the European Union (but I might be wrong).

spearo = spear fisherman

Re. Ormers, I am still trying to figure that out too -- the Guernsey 2006 thread discussed them. They look a lot like Abalone though -- like rocks on the outside, the very rich "mother of pearl" pattern inside & the distinctive holes along one edge. Although I think they dig them up along the shore rather than dive for them. Foxfish knows...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT