• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hunting alone

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Do you hunt alone?

• Never

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Frequently

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • Always

Votes: 19 26.8%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Matt J
Sep 16, 2005
We all know that it is dangerous to dive solo and that we should never go out alone :naughty but we also know that not everybody does what is sensible all the time. ;)
My work situation means that my trips are infrequent and unpredictable and so it is virtually impossible to arrange to go with a buddy. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem and I'm guessing that others hunt alone - do we practice what we preach?

Reactions: podge
Hmmm...

Interesting one there. Personally one of the main elements of an enjoyable days spearfishing for me is the company that i spend it with. I love a day out on the water with a few buddies, the sunshine and with any luck a few fish. However like you said buddies are sometimes not avaliable when you are. I myself have not yet been spearfishing alone, but this is not to say that i wouldnt if the perfect day arose for me to go.

for me to go alone i would have to have:
1) Good viz
2) Good weather
3) A Bigger float/flag
4) A well known location that i am comfortable with.

(however if there were bass jumping out of the water i think this would also help)

I would NEVER reccomend going it alone, it would be my choice and my risk if i did so.

Just my thoughts,
Huw

In Southern California, I would say that freedive spearfishing alone is the norm rather than the exception. Our most desirable fish, the white sea bass, is rather sensitive to noise and movement, and most of us don't want another diver next to us scaring the fish away.

Of course it depends on your definition of "alone." I have one to three friends along on the boat and we are all in the water at the same time, but we don't try to stay near each other.

But at least on my boat, the situation changes after someone shoots a fish. Our fish tend to head for the bottom and wrap up in the kelp, and it can be very dangerous down there, expecially if visibility is limited and the diver is at the extremes of his depth capability, trying to sort out kelp and shooting line and cut the correct one. I urge everyone on the boat to call for help if he feels the least bit threatened by the situation.

Just last week I had given up on a kelp bed and was heading for the boat when I saw a buddy waving at me. I went over there and helped him out. As soon as we recovered his fish and he was heading for the boat, my other buddy was waving for help. I had to struggle through a thick mat of surface kelp to reach him, and then found that his reel line was strung out through the kelp bed and his gun was floating at least 100 feet away from where I joined him. It took quite a while to find his fish, kill it and bring it up, detach the shooting line from the reel line, then go get the gun and wind all the line back on the reel. Frankly, I would rather have spent all this time trying to find a fish of my own, but then I'd rather come home without a fish than come home and try to get up the guts to call a wife or mother and tell her that her loved one was lost. I've done that once, and once was enough. Also, I expect my dive buddies to spend their time helping me when I need it, so it all works out.

Besides the usual "good sense" involved in diving with a partner, I can't imagine the Hell I would catch if the better half ever found out that I dove without one. Maybe some day when I have many, many cautious hours of diving under my belt I would consider a solo dive but not yet!

I always dive solo, it wasn't always the case but there are few spearos in Ireland and even fewer where I live.
I used to dive with a mate but since he moved away with work commitments I haven't had any choice in the matter and the responsibility of being a Husband and Father also tempers any decision making, I would like to think that I will be around to teach my son how to spear when he is old enough and that is a good subconcious voice to have inside your head when making decisions on the bottom....

Also a Californian who pretty much only ever hunted alone.

1) good weather
2) familiar place
3) on-shore spotter

#3 does nothing for underwater problems, but would help with sudden changes in ocean conditions; which in NorCal are a serious concern, (weather and conditions can change fast) just getting out of the water can be hard

Most of the reef I ever stuck to was shallow -10m, and I was weighted positively buoyant at -5-6m.

Equipment:

1) depth gage
2) watch
3) inner tube float that could support my weight
4) gun (little Riff)
5) nylon rope (20m) attached to the float, with and abalone iron &
gauge
6) sealed plastic fishing license protector
7) digital camera
8) fish stringer
9) pointy tip, dive knife

The ocean can always be dangerous, but that doesn't mean to me that you never go into it alone. You have to personally evaluate your risk, and understand how you are going to deal with a number of situations that could go badly, and not push yourself too hard.

Though I have to admit I have kept myself under a bit too long chasing Lingcod from hole to hole.

At the time I started I had only ever met 1 other spearfisher and he was the guy who sold me my gun. I don't know I geuss I never hung out with the right crowd.

well, we all know its safer to go spearfishing with a buddy, but most people i know, go alone....
i go alone most of the time, usualy night time spearing..... the first time is a bit scary, but you get used to it after the first fish you spear....
i dive the medditerenian& we don't have sharks or kelp, so if you stay in the shallows, and don't push your limit, your ok..... anyways at night you don't need to go deep.....
well, i know some people here will see this as dangerous, but i think going alone is a big part of the fun& makes freediving, well, free!!!
hope you guys agree...

I often dive alone due to not having a bady available .
diving alone requires a bit more caution and the understanding that if you blackout or have any any other problems your on your own so you have to take it easy and reduce risks.
thats the down side.
The good side is undisturbed fish your mate hasn't swum infront of you and spooked and the real feeling of becoming at one with the sea because you don't feel the distraction that you get looking for your buddy or others. It is a great feeling sometimes.
When you see or imagine a big shark not quite so great though.
Peter

Hi all,since my budy moved back to turky about 18 months ago ,most of the time ,I hunt alone ,but when the vis is not good I keep my self in the shalow water or over the reef ,currntly in the red sea,but it's not advise able to hunt alone as you all know for safty,about the medetranian ,i think you could be wrong ,there are some sharks and you still have to keep watching for them.

I often hunt alone because I like the sense of solitude. Just a "me and the ocean" kind of moment.

However, I sometimes hunt with one and occasionally two or more of my fellow spearo's. This is nothing to do with safety but is the obverse of the "alone in the ocean" syndrome i.e. I like the company/social side of being with fellow enthusiasts.

If I had to choose only one it would be alone but as I don't then I guess I'm happy as I am :) .

Dave

I wish i have a dive buddy...
I am always going solo...it is good to be alone with the sea...but not always.
If any body out there is staying in Dubai, please feel welcome to join me...
cheerzZz

The Killer's me said:
I am always going solo..
Know how you feel..... :waterwork My missus hates it when I go solo :chatup Its not true honest LOL

I catch much more on my own but it is nice to plan a social dive with mates or help a beginner.

foxfish said:
I catch much more on my own but it is nice to plan a social dive with mates or help a beginner.
same thing for me:)

Pretty much always hunt with a buddy.
Guess I’m a social kind of a guy and enjoy the company as much as the fishing.

podge said:

Yeah thats where its all at for me too!

Huw

Huan said:
I always dive solo, it wasn't always the case but there are few spearos in Ireland and even fewer where I live.
I used to dive with a mate but since he moved away with work commitments I haven't had any choice in the matter and the responsibility of being a Husband and Father also tempers any decision making, I would like to think that I will be around to teach my son how to spear when he is old enough and that is a good subconcious voice to have inside your head when making decisions on the bottom....

I always dived alone back home too. Fortunately here in France that is no longer the case but I do dive alone sometimes too. I think nothing of it, I don't push myself at all. I tell someone on shore where I'm off to and I love the fact there is nobody else around to make any noise or scare the fish, especially if the bass or bream are around.

I also hunt with a buddy most of the time, but although there is the two of us in the water at the same time we are still too far away from each other to be able to help in case of emergency. I guess diving with a buddy means staying very close to each other or diving in an "elevator" as we call it - one guy down, the other watching him from the surface and vice versa. All the rest is equally dangerous to diving alone IMHO.

podge said:

But I'm not sure that we all mean the same thing when we say "with" a buddy. I enjoy the social aspect too, and like to have people to talk to on the 30 to 50 mile run to the islands. I also like having them pull the anchor. I'm just not with them in a meaningful sense in the water.

Are you (and others) just in the same general area, or are you conforming to a one-up/one-down discipline and watching each other dive. If its not the latter, then you are kidding yourself about being safer.

Bill McIntyre said:
Are you (and others) just in the same general area, or are you conforming to a one-up/one-down discipline and watching each other dive. If its not the latter, then you are kidding yourself about being safer.

Bill
Although we hunt together its never that close so I guess you are right in a sense about the safety aspect although we do tend to know where each of us are in the water and can keep a general eye out.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT