• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hunting.... For fishing tackle!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
Anyone else go diving for snagged tackle? I havn;t bought fishing gear in years - I just dive the local fishing holes after the salmon season and collect the leftovers :D

My last trip over was last August and was very productive. I was diving a popular salmon spot, just below a rapid where two rivers meet. after one hour of pumping hard and chasing away 2 small curious black bears I was completly wrecked, and my legs were on fire, but my bag was full! 64 large sppons & Spinners. each worth $2 - $4 at the local tackle shop when i turn them in :D great way to fund more dive kit !

An Hours Work....

The Dive Site

Last edited:
Reactions: paddythefrog
When I find them I give them to the hook n' line guys on the shore. It seems to smooth things over a bit and they don't seem quite so hostile when we spearfish in "their" ;) lake.

Tedski introduced me to the habit of giving some extra fish off of my stringer to the occasional fisherman. We got out of a lake one day with full stringers and watched the poor guy sitting there with his daughter and only one, very small, fish to show for all of their trouble. A few fish from us made up a meal for his whole family and I don't think I have seen a more appreciative adult in quite some time.

Considering some of the run-ins I've had with drunken fisherman these are small things to try and smooth things over.

I've also found quite a few rod and reels over the years. Normally they would go to my cousin's kids, but now that they have more gear than they know what to do with. Now, I end up giving them to the first fisherman, with a kid, that I see when I get out of the water.

Anchors we keep until the end of the summer. Then we have a big bon fire to burn off the paint, repaint them and sell them to the local fishing stores for cash to support the local dive/ underwater hockey club that I belong to.

Lost dive gear is mine to keep. :cool:

Jon

I normally untangle lures for fishermen on piers. When I see their snaged I swim over and offer them some help. We normally chat for a bit and then everyone else who's fishing see's this and is normally pretty nice after that. Going a little out of your way to be helpfull is definitely worth the effort.

As far as lures i used to always grab one or two when I was in the water, but since I started spear fishing I almost never go w/ the hook and line anymore. It would be a nice way to subsidize diving or for future barting and tackle shops etc.

I normally find lots of Krocodiles and I used to give them you my friend but now that I got my kayak I go fishing when the vis sucks or I am tired of spearing (rarely happens though).

By krocodiles do you mean spoons? I usually try and find a few lures when I go to pensacola .The last time I didn't have a place to put them so I only kept one or two. My collection of gotcha lures is growing every summer.

Ya they work great for bonita, barricuda, bass, seals (catch when you are reeling in a fish), and everything else that might see it.

Seal thing was a joke but they are a pain in the a$$. They steal fish right off your float 3 feet away and when you are reeling in a fish and they will bite your bait right behind the hook.

we do the same rofl rofl
sometimes more then that
i've found a cressisub sl 40 pneomatic speargun
2 masks 2 snorkels1 diving knife 1 fishing rod with reel
lots of lures and stuff

I dive in rocky bottom river, and generally get 100$ of lures each week (in summer). It's a walleye river, and favorite lures are Rapalas or Yo-Zuri, that worth 8-12$ each. I linefish 2-3 times a year, and have a tackle box of a pro, but have a father who love to pick the son's tackles and go for walleye.

I discovered he was taking my tackles the day I found a weird lure on the bottom... that I've found too the day before.

I also find often whole rod n' reel kit, in river that aren't accessible by boat. How can you lose a rod n' reel from shore?

yeah, regularly pick up some lures etc. during the Summer months and pass them onto mates who prefer the rod and line side of things :)

I'm sure it could be quite interesting indeed as a means of getting a little more funding for kit too!

Brian (BJP) and I went out diving today and came back with a haul of 4 anchors, 2 musky lures, and even a fishing arrow. :cool:

The anchors were a bit more difficult to get back to shore, since I don't carry a lift bag when freediving, but it just allowed us to warm up a little bit from the extra effort. :)

Jon

Last edited:
Me and a friend were doing some freediving in stockholm at the end of last summer. It isn't an exiting experience with a meter viz and mud. However it is in the middle of town so there is alot of weird stuff on the bottom, including some alright wrecks. We found an ok bike, I just picked it out of the water and rode it home when we were done.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT