• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hunting In Japan

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jdham137

Jun 1, 2004
Has anybody on the list hunted in Japan? As a member of the US Navy I find myself in Japan and will spend most of my time in Misawa and Okinawa. Anyone know about rules and regs? Can my wife send me my speargun through US Postal service? Any favorite spots? Keep in mind I'll probably have to ride a bike to the sites and will be in the Kadena Air Base area of Okinawa. I just want to hunt for fish that will be brought back to the barracks for BBQing.

LutzSpearo from this site is a marine and is located in Okinawa currently.
I'm sure he does not mind company.

Cheers,
Mikko

Okinawa has some great diving from the shore. Grouper, snapper, ulua, parrots, etc are all within an easy swim. Viz obviously depends on the weather and we had over 20 typhoons last season that kept the sand up in the water. But, you can usually find somewhere workable on the lee side. I'm comfortable wearing a three mil open cell suit right now (I think the water temp is around 70), but a .5 mil dive skin works well in the summer. I've had two guns come in the mail - neither was a problem. Hope this helps.

Magnum166

Yes it does help. Thanks for the reply. As it is now I'm in Thailand doing my part for the Tsunami relief and don't have time to dive but hopefully I'll be back in Okinawa soon enough.

John David

Any former reef rovers dive club members (Okinawa)-1983- out there?-many service people got a start there-I enjoyed Okinawa-dove myself to divorce-by the way first post-glad this is here-impressed by awesome members

Last edited:
1983 minus 13 years. I was in the Reef Rover Club in 1970. My dive pardners were T and Greg. We had a blast and were diving about 6 times a week, lol, think we were addicted to it. I no longer dive, but I sure have some fond memories of diving off Okinawa. I am glad to hear that the diving still is good, as we were worried about it when I left, as we were starting to find globs of crude oil on some of the beaches. They were doing some offshore drilling South of there, so apparently they cleaned their act up.

DC

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT