• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hybrid qustions...........

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fuzz

Hawaiian transplant...
Sep 9, 2002
2 main questions:

1) Yokooji or Wong?

2) 50" or 55"?

I've used the wong, but not the yakooji.
Dug up an old thread about this here on deeperblue and someone said the wong has warping issues and the shaft doesn't lie on the barrel well due to the join. I have never seen this personally and my old gun (55 tit.wong :( I miss her) didn't have any inkling of inconsistency. Has anyone else heard of these discrepancies or are they mainly attributeable to rumors?

Look at my past thread "LOST MY LINKS" for more info.Since Hybrids swings easy 55 inch will worth the money.55 inch inch gun is both suitable reef and open water hunting (relatively).
Look at the www.freediver.net/Wong decision for story and you will get what i mean.
If you liked your old gun just buy the same.
One wuestion for you:Can your old 55 inch Hybrid can reach 20 feet accurate and effective range?

I only used 2 bands on my 55" & I would not say 20 feet effective.

Great gun, but at that range, the trajectory was down & there wasn't enough punch left. Never tried it with 3 bands, so can't tell you how much that extra band would help.

I read your thread as well as the link before, but I still appreciate your help. I agree that they are easy to use at 55" and was really wondering if there is any added advantage to having a shorter one?

Sven would know ;)

It's all depends on your buget....

If you can buy more than sevreal guns for different hunting styles, then 50 inch may suit better for reef harvesting than 55".You know every job needs different tools.For me, its cost a fortune
to buy high dollar gun from the USA and pay the extra shipping to transport it here.Thats why i am telling 55 inch gun worth money.It can do job of the 50 inch with little much effort but 50 can't do 55" inch job in open waters. I mean, if i need both screwdriver and tweezers but i have only enogh money for one of them then i will buy Switzerland Army knive.Probably you know that little red thing.Of course it's not as good as alone screwdriver and alone tweezers but i can show my ability to recover.

Anyway.......

What a Bullsh*t post heheheee:duh rofl rofl

somebody call?

no kidding murat...:hmm

Anyway fuzz, you're right that the only way a hybrid, at least as far as I know and with my own, is going to make 20' is if I drop it down a 21' cliff. It's design is primarily to utilize the benefits of the euro and lumber styles. The euro stuff, (Ok, I can't help it, Jay...:girlie ) is great as far as being quick and easy to swing around owing to it's reduced cross section. The lumber guns give you great triggers and the mass to reduce the recoil from the heavy bands that you can load them with.

Even with all that, by combining the two you're still sacrificing. You could go all lumber and make that 20' with a bit of luck or you could go euro and have to stalk and pray...

My hybrid is a mix of Wong/AimRite and Icarus Design Solutions and by that mix I hope to have an edge with the quick and the stiffness of the titanium while having the bouyancy and mass in the ass of the gun of a Riffe. I'm in Santa Barbara now and spent a good portion of the afternoon yesterday ballasting and balancing a couple of guns, always a show for the strolling tourists, with me bent over the dock with a gun and some weights and tape...:confused:

My feeling is that the 42" and 50" sizes are a great length for the stuff here in So Cal and in the kelp, for the free swimming stuff. I've got to figure that having an additional 5 inches in the 55"er will be handy for the Keys and the Islands. I' trying to score 60" or so of titanium tube so I can complete my KK03 quiver. What I lack in experience with the area I hope to cover a bit with hardware and humility.

sven

Hey sven, any experience with a yakooji?

I keep hearing about the "problems" with the join between wood & pipe in wongs, but have never seen it to be a problem with my previous gun, nor those of my friends. :confused:

I think the fact that the pipe is full length in the Yakooji is a plus, but in practice, I haven't seen it as an issue. I don't reel a speared fish like with a regular rod, so the stress isn't there... I like the Alexander handle better than the Wong's AimRite, and the Riffe for that matter. Too bad it's a pain in the ass to retrofit a Riffe with an Alexander handle.

sven

but, the aimrite handles come in all kinds of pretty colors now!

:D

Just out of curiosity, what did you use to glue that track down on the JBL?

My track on my open-muzzle european didn't stay on very well last time I used it :(

I don't know if I epoxied the track down on that gun of yours, but usually I'll glue it down with some quick 2 part epoxy from the local hardware store, nothing exotic.

Sven, whats with the rumor I've heard that you are going euro:girlie on us...be aware of the dark side of the force Sven, powerful it is...

just get some good Marine Grade Silicon. what I used to glue the track on my JBL down after I painted it. Now sporting new Blackness....

The silicone can be "cut" away if you have to alter the weapon later - epoxy is pretty hard to get rid of - but much stronger.

Willer

keep holding your breath

Originally posted by rigdvr
Sven, whats with the rumor I've heard that you are going euro:girlie on us...

Yeah. Me going euro...
That might be the best static exercise I've heard yet. But I'll give mad props to Stylin' Jay here who gets the job done with his.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT