• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hypnotism (man I cant spell)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ickledevil

take a breath and relax..
Apr 26, 2001
Hi all
Just had an interesting meeting with an old friend, turns out hes now a trained hypnotist, (he was going to be a pyscologist) We got to talking about freediving and relaxation/meditation he suggested meditation was just self hypnotism which I guess makes sense, we then got onto the fact I have real trouble relaxing in meditation, so he suggested guided self hypnotism (this could all be bull but give me your opinions) First off I tried a little mp3 on www.self-hypnosis.co.uk for relaxation, appaerntly you have to want and belive it to work (any form of hypnotism) I did this seven minute taster (meant to be start of a course) and man did I relax! I was almost asleep, my eyes were closed but I could open them when I wanted and still tweak the mouse etc on my computer. When it was over I felt a bit like Id just woke up, it was kinda cool and very relaxing. So I went back to my friend, he said its possible to relax immediately at will by self hypnosis but you need to be taught through guided self hypnosis to do it, so I let him do it to me, its all pretty simple lots of key words used as triggers but I have a few more to go and Ill let you know the results

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ickledevil, I have tried self hypnotism, not in freediving, but as simple relaxation exersice when having stress.. I believe it works wonders, but as in so many other things there is many routes leading to the same destination, you pick the most suitable for your self...Good luck....when are you coming down to Devon for some diving??
I am off to Finalnd for a month now but later perhaps?

Definately my friend have a gret time in Finland, man I widh I could get away, man I wish I was diving!
Anyway if your still around Im coming down in about 2 weeks, if not role on summer I'll be there at least once a week!
Joe

Ooooooo

Well the old hypnotism things over with, I had about ten sessions of basically the same thing, I remember everything (I think!) and basically Ive been left with a 'key' its a word which reminds my subconcious (sp?) of the sessions and helps me slip into the very relaxed state I experienced in them much more quickly, for me if I close my eyes and say 'Relax' three times I relax very fast, I havnt really tried any apnea alongside this yet but I know my heart rate drops from around 62 - 40 within a minute of the 'key' Even if its no good for free diving its a great stress buster. I now have two recordings on my PC of this sort of thing as well as a visual version (doesnt work as well for me) apparently if you belive it and let yourself become engrossed it works better.
If anyones interested let me know and Ill try to email the programs or at least post the address for the downloads.
Ill let you know what effect it has on my diving when you can see more than 1m and less than a hundred scuba divers underwater!
Joe

hypnosis and asteroids

Aloha Joe

Ever since my daughter took Psych 101, I've been interested in the subject. Haven't been able to do it with anyone else though. I was told that you have to trust the hypnotist or believe or something. If you can steer me to the info on self-hypnosis, it would be great. Haven't thought about it since my daughter ran away and married what's his name.

Off subject; Did you see that an asteroid missed us by less than 500 mega meters last week? Will someone in Vancouver please keep an eye on Kirk and warn me next time he leaves town? I'll hide under the bed or ......

Thanks
Bill

No probs!
The first site I hit was www.self-hypnosis.co.uk it has a small download as a sample of their course but I found it quite good to follow (7min) and relax by, I did a search after that for self hypnosis and relaxation by hypnosis I found a few sites (UK) one of which had loads of downloads and a free long download for relaxation I cant remember the site its one of these I think:
www.hypnogenesis.com
www.hypnos.co.uk
www.hypnosis.org.uk
www.hypnosis-online.co.uk
A internet search would probally turn up loads, all I reckon is you have to belive in it, be undisturbed and let it happen (dont fight it)
Good luck and let me know what happens for you!
Joe

Re: hypnosis and asteroids

Originally posted by Bill

Haven't thought about it since my daughter ran away and married what's his name.

Bill

Too bad his name isn't Sven...

Thanks for the info Ickle, I'm always looking to escape the committee going on in my noggin.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT