Guest viewing is limited
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

    • Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

    You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

  • Hi Guest - just to let you know that we performed some work on the forums recently. You may use this thread report any issues you encounter.

I am going home!! :wave

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
7,998
1,281
418
... home sweet home for a couple of weeks until I move on to the next one... get your 1m long boerewors out and starting hanging the meat... rofl

Seriously... after one year it's good to go and see the family..mmm i can almost smell the braai and Mum's butternut soup! :p

Will probably visit west coast very shortly during that time, if I am up for diving will get in touch.

:friday :friday :friday :friday
 
Last edited:

OceanSwimmer

Well-Known Member
Nov 3, 2002
482
69
118
68
.....Congrats on the trip home, island sands! ....but tell us...just which 'west coast' do you intend to visit?
 

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
7,998
1,281
418
OceanSwimmer said:
.....Congrats on the trip home, island sands! ....but tell us...just which 'west coast' do you intend to visit?

That would the South African west coast... :)

home sweet home
 

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
2,775
300
0
40
when you get home find a computer with Java so we can find you in chat :D
 

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
7,998
1,281
418
Amphibious said:
when you get home find a computer with Java so we can find you in chat :D

i have got Java... just can't get it to work.... need some 'puter boffin advice again :)
 
Last edited:

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
2,775
300
0
40
island_sands said:
i have got Java... just can't get it to work.... need some 'puter boffin advice again :)

Wish I could help you! there has to be a geek on this board that would come to the aid of a damsel in distress :girlie
 

Stephan Whelan

Papa Smurf
Staff member
Admin
Jan 7, 1999
6,804
668
268
42
Yello - geek reporting for duty.

Head over to http://www.java.com and get the latest version of Java. Then hit the chat room and you're good to go.

Still having problems - let me know.
 

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 13, 2004
2,789
529
203
74
Jolly good show, old girl, hoistin' a Castle in celebration.
 

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
7,998
1,281
418
Stephan Whelan said:
Yello - geek reporting for duty.

Head over to http://www.java.com and get the latest version of Java. Then hit the chat room and you're good to go.

Still having problems - let me know.


grrrr... downloaded it... now getting message
Error Source file not found
c:\windows\installer\msi8a.tmp. Verify file exists and that you can access it.

???

i have downloaded java before... hmmmm now there seems to be a problem.

:duh
 

bdurrett

Colorado Transplant
Sep 19, 2002
1,383
255
0
57
island_sands said:
grrrr... downloaded it... now getting message
Error Source file not found
c:\windows\installer\msi8a.tmp. Verify file exists and that you can access it.

???

i have downloaded java before... hmmmm now there seems to be a problem.

:duh

Not to be too cheeky but.....

"Downloading" and "Installing" are 2 different kettle of fish. Two things to note here....

From the Sun Java Download Site:
1) Windows XP SP2 users: if you encounter an error, look at the top of this page for a yellow bar that reads "This site might require the following ActiveX control: 'Java Plug-in 1.5_01' from 'Sun Microsystems, Inc.'. Click here to install..." Click the yellow bar and choose "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow installation to proceed.

===========

This means that you need a specific ActiveX control that M$ uses and which may have been capped by a "Security Patch Release" since ActiveX is known to be a hacker entry point....


The other thing is (I only know this because it happened to me), if you are using XP and you are not in the Admin group (PowerUser is NOT sufficient), it will pretend to install but really won't. In this case, you need to do the manual d/l and install too. The best place (that I have found) to download the file to is direct to the Desktop. It is easier to find then.

The other thing is that the error that you are getting is really rather odd. The file that is "missing" is NOT one of the "normal" files that gets built and kept by the installation. It is a temporary file (noted by the .tmp extension) that the Installer Package is using. This is HIGHLY suspect in my book. I would go for the manual d/l and install method in this case.....

bret
 
Last edited:

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
7,998
1,281
418
bdurrett said:
Not to be too cheeky but.....

"Downloading" and "Installing" are 2 different kettle of fish. Two things to note here....

From the Sun Java Download Site:
1) Windows XP SP2 users: if you encounter an error, look at the top of this page for a yellow bar that reads "This site might require the following ActiveX control: 'Java Plug-in 1.5_01' from 'Sun Microsystems, Inc.'. Click here to install..." Click the yellow bar and choose "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow installation to proceed.

===========


bret

thanks Bret and also Papa Smurf... I have downloaded/installed, but when i go onto the chat its say error connecting..

i can see all the different rooms, click on them etc but it wont connect. Undoubtedly you have a spy camera... and can see what's happening on my screen now I am online.... rofl rofl
 

bdurrett

Colorado Transplant
Sep 19, 2002
1,383
255
0
57
island_sands said:
thanks Bret and also Papa Smurf... I have downloaded/installed, but when i go onto the chat its say error connecting..

i can see all the different rooms, click on them etc but it wont connect. Undoubtedly you have a spy camera... and can see what's happening on my screen now I am online.... rofl rofl

What kind of error is it giving you? Without any other info, it sounds like there is a one words answer to the last problem - "FIREWALL" It sounds as if the port that is used for the chat communications protocol/stream is being denied access
 
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2021 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT