• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I Am Stumped, What Is It?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DiverC

Aug 3, 2018
I saw this shellfish while snorkeling in the Puget Sound. It was in about 5-6 feet of water, and I don't have a very good photograph of it: GoPro Hero White is only 1080p
resolution and doesn't make good stills. Video is on YouTube:

Richmond Beach 8 25 2021​

at 5 minutes 25 seconds.
I wish I knew what it was.

View attachment 57614

Some kind of starfish / sea star? Picture below of a purple variety in the Puget Sound.

You have to jump ahead to 5 minutes 25 seconds in the video to see what I'm posting about. Or click on the attachment. The screenshot is a Puget Sound sea star or starfish, but that's not the intriguing creature that I can't identify.

You have to jump ahead to 5 minutes 25 seconds in the video to see what I'm posting about. Or click on the attachment. The screenshot is a Puget Sound sea star or starfish, but that's not the intriguing creature that I can't identify.
OK, sorry.
Well, I'm stumped now too, if it's the object resembling a crumpled ball of white paper above. The Pacific Northwest is so full of bizarre crustaceans, both on land and in the sea. I can still recall spotting my first giant slug lounging on a tree stump while hiking through a forest in Washington State a couple of decades ago.

Last edited:
I hope someone can identify it. I looked up "Puget Sound White Shells" and the chart didn't help. It's got a projection of some kind sticking out of it like a horse conch, but it's not a horse conch they are Atlantic Coast marine life.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…