• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I boughta speargun.....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fjohnson

The land of ice and snow
Sep 5, 2001
it ain't much, but May 1st I'm in the water to see what this is all about. It ain't got near the trigger that my S&W 41 has but it should "feed" more reliably. Tomorrow I'm going searching for divable (vis more than 3 feet) open water..and no rivers.

Fred

well sven,

now don't laugh.. :D my thoughts were since I don't know what kinda hobby this is going to turn into I definitly started out on the low end.. a mares explorer. I can imagine the improvements on the more expensive models as already I was thinking of all the ways I could improve this one. I hope to be out taking 3-10 lb carp and suckers with it soon. I'm not sure what to expect, but I sure am looking forward to the sport, and if this goes like all my other hobbies I'll end up far from my initial investment of $37.

Maybe soon those fish will feel like the rabbits, beaver, and deer do about me around here.

Fred

sweet gun!

Hey Fred, don't feel bad or get a small guy complex over an Explorer. A lot of us, and my favorite spear-type guy included, started out with one, and I still have and use it! The length of it and the single/double band setup are simplicity itself and will get you on the program with a minimum of futzing with it.

My favorite rock gun to this day is the slightly bigger version of the same gun, it was called the 4G32, with all the improvements that a lot of years and error help develop.

One thing I'd look at doing first off is to reduce the amount of line that holds the shaft to the gun from two wraps to one. Even if you get more than the usual freshwater viz of, what, 3-4 feet?, the bands and the accuracy of that gun will dictate that you get pretty close to that carp, and don't kid yourself, carp are extremely wary. And they fight like bulldogs on speed. Some guy's I know that do a lot of fresh 02 hunting, go with a three prong tip to aid in snap shots where the thing is about to bolt. Out here in salty land, you can maybe wait it out and see if it comes back to investigate, but you see a carp get ready to bail, nail it! Even if you end up just winging it, you'll still do the water a big favor by killing that trash. When I was a kid, I'd get a dollar apiece for 'em before the summer season at a local resort on the River.

Good luck.

sven

I can walk on water..

Sven,
This is mostly what I found today :waterwork ..ice is still a foot thick or more. It's going to take lots of 70 deg. days before I can no longer walk on water. A few ponds and the rivers are open.

Fred

Attachments

• walkonwater.jpg
    walkonwater.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 345
God gives you lemons...

Well Fred, like I say, wherever you go, there you are.
Make the best of it, practice your breatholds, check your straps, hope. And move.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT