• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I cant breathe!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

colinpryce

Mar 2, 2005
can anyone let me have some practical tips on how to stay down a bit longer?
I'm not talking about serious freediving, just "spearfishing for beginners" type of thing.
I can do 1 min 45secs at a stretch but get the impression this is a bit pathetic compared to most visitors to the site!
Any tips would be gratefully received.(i've seen some discussions here recently about this but need to start at the beginning).Thanks CP.

Hi,
i think its all about training... :)
Use those famous static tables - you can practice at home with no water and your performance will increase dramatically...
you`ll find them somewhere on the deeperblue-page!
i hope that helps you out, but i am as well not a professional :)
regards
Mat

1.45 is quite a long spearing dive in the UK.
I average about 1.15 on working dives, but will occasionally push to 2 if the situation demands it.
I prefer to do shorter dives with shorter recoveries to maximise "bottom time per hour"
Always dive well within your comfort zone. Spearfishing is not competitive freediving, there are no prizes for holding your breath the longest!
The best training for spearfishing is..... to go spearfishing, fish knowledge and instinct are far more important than physical ability, breathold time or even fitness (although they all help!)
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

Why would you need to stay underwater for any longer than that?
I would say that that is already very long dive. I normally dive about 1:20 and thats easily long enough for most of the fish.
Dont push it, just dive as long as you comfortably can.

Tuomo

Many thanks for the replies and advice.All taken on board.Time to get wet I think.
Cheers CP.

colinpryce said:
Time to get wet I think.
Cheers CP.
BRRRRR! You can tell he's Old Bill, you'll scare all the fish away if you start stamping your feet to keep warm rofl
Seriously, the guys are right, theres no need for huge aspetto in the UK but theres no harm in practicing, it can only increase your safety margin; try searching through the freedive section for breathing techniques and breath ups, its a massive resource of info :)

lots of time in the pool. lots!!! for me, my time at depth is directly proportional to my comfort level. the start of every spearing season is terrible, but ass I get out and get wet the times get better and better. don;t look at spending great times on the bottom. when I;m freediving for fun my dive times are a lot longer then if I'm hunting. I always hunt with conservitive bottom times incase a rapid follow-up dive is required.

1.45 diving time is not bad at all. Mines are around 1.30, will push 2minutes barrier this summer (hopefully).

If you manage to get 1.45 i am sure you can increase it by diving more frequent since probably you know much of the basic stuff.

I have friend, he is the deepest in the island (i belive). He does 3.5 minutes dive. Aspetto at 35 meters...No need to say i feel pathetic when i see him doing that. But he is a swimming instructor in university and he spent every single day in pool if he is not spearing.

edit: By the way he does all of those diving after 4-5 hour son stop surface swimming to reach the spot from the shore :cool:

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT