• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I have been practicing...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LeeYoder

May 25, 2004
Hello all,
Since I have joed this forum I have been trying to absorb as much info as possible and have been doing deep breathing exercises. Today I decided to do some practice hold (just kind of goofing off in the office;) ). Anyway this is what I did:

10 deep vents, inhale: 50.79 secs
15 deep vents, inhale: 1 min 7.48 sec
20 deep vents, inhale: 1 min 37.26 sec
20 deep vents, 1 pack: 1 min 44.64 sec

My intervals between holds was as long as took to clear my light-headedness. I also took 5 - 6 deep recovery breathes after each hold. I did notice that as soon as I started my hold after the pack, my ears were ringing, making it somewhat difficult to concentrate, but not too bad.

So, given the above, how did I do? I thought I would get more than 7 secs on the pack, but I have not been practicing those and I did not inflate my lungs too much.

I would appreciate some tips and practice regemins (sp?) from some morre experienced divers.

Thanks,

Lee

Hey Lee
Not sure how much of a beginner you are, but I am a beginner too.

I think the perceived wisdom is not to pack. Maybe next year when you are more used to breath holds and your lungs have got used to it you might consider it.

A good approach is to find some static tables and follow them gently a few times a week - from what I have read more than this is not beneficial - ie don't do lots of statics every day.

The period between holds is crucial. It shouldn't be too short - some practice the same time for holds and vents (for the O2 table - there is the CO2 table too).

You can find a web application here : http://www.freediver.co.uk/

under the Downloads section.

Also NEVER do wet statics without someone who knows exactly what they are doing (see posts on Black Outs here in the Beginner section...).

Take it easy - Ed

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT