• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

i just made my first two spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jtkwest

recreational user
Dec 2, 2007
i just made my first two sperguns

one is 60" now the other is 52" i am using parts from AB BILLER and JBL guns i had lying around. i used the triggers so the spears match them , but the rest of the guns mimic the Riffe style. i bored large holes to accomadate 3/4"inch bands,( 3 each! ) they both use shooting line to hold spear to barrel (riffe style) for silent release. i laminated teak i got from a local cabinet maker. 60" ABBiller is 3 piece teak laminate. the 52" is brazilian walnut center with teak on outside. These guns are good but my next batch will be sick! I ordered 3 Riffe triggers, line releases, etc. im doing an enclosed trac gun in my next batch. I saw an enclosed trac kit in Riffe catalog i think i can use. anyone who has info on similar projects i would accept any info please. i am a trim carpenter from key west. i have been spearfishing for 13 years, i have a boat in the water in key west i am looking for fearless individuals to help me do the blue water. i got gps #s up the ass , my friends work the charter fleet

one is 71" with an ABBiller trigger and 60" 9/32 'spear with three 3/4" bands. The other frankenstein gun uses JBL trigger and spear , is 65" overall with a 52" x 3/8"inch FAT spear! Aso with three 3/4" bands. Both use 300# test monofiliment with the line holding the spear to the barrel , (riffe style) These first two guns are really nice ,(better than i expested ) but my next batch will be excellent. i am doing an enclosed trac gun from a kit in the Riffe catalog. i rdered two Riffe triggers and spears for the next ones. Anyone with similar projects , your input would be greatly appreciated. i am a trim carpenter, and i have access to teak , ipe and other hardwoods, i can use our cabinet shop to make the stocks.i will print pics as soon as i get more tech saavy,(i am good with wood, not so much computers.)i live in key west. ihave a boat in the water at all times if anyone with blue water free diving experience wants to come down, (or up ) i have GPS#s for the bar. 11 miles offshore. (100 ft coming up to 45 ft then drops off , and off to the gulf stream. i dont have the balls so far. If you do and have experiece contact me

Welcome to deeperblue jtk :)The guns sound awesome, do you have any pictures?

yeah we need pics to brighten up our winter days so come on jtk give us some sun from Florida.

soon come. I am on island time bro. where you from? Channel Islands? Where is that?

Between England & France, a very small Island & it is winter!

careful with the 3- 3/4" bands on the jbl, mech. might not hold the poundage, I'd go 5/8"...riffe mech. are great, but a bit hard to install ( so I've been told) Aimrite (comes with handle), alexander, neptonics, Poseid., might be a better alternative...beuchat marlin might also do well to 3 5/8" (handle and release in one)

I hopr the jbl mech can hold out! that would suck! Aimrite is an option, my thoughts were to get a brand that uses spears with fins not notches. Riffe is all over the place in the dive shops here, soI am familiar with their stuff. Omer spears dont look hardened. plus are expensive. I am pretty good at the building aspect. My planning tends to be focused on what I see. I would have to study their triggers up close and noone I know has a daryl wong gun ,(or aimrite) as far as Riffe being hard to fit, I have access to entire cabinet shop plus I got some old timers around to ask.I think it will be easier than these last two guns,(it was anightmare getting barrel truly aligned with triggers!)the JBL mech is the same from my58 magnum aluminum (first gun)it held 3 5/8 bands no prob. Iwill probably rock 1 3/4 and two 5/8. Besides I am thinking about selling it to pay for parts for my new guns. The spear is 3/8 diameteron that gun!good learning gun (spear is practically unbendable unless you shoot jaws)

If its spring steel it should be pretty much unbendable, 3/8 is a hvy spear, 9/16 is a tad less, but performance wise it does better than 3/8...Riffes tempering is very consistent, but if you wanna save some $$$ go with Ray Odor shafts (pins instead of fins and a doghouse, but it works all the same and less $$$). Riffe is a good trig mech and the auto reset on the line is sweet- thats why I went with poseid's trigg, which "supposedely' was easy to install-not-you definitely need to have the jigs to get it right the first time, and then some...luckily wood is forgiving- good luck with the build!

If its spring steel it should be pretty much unbendable, 3/8 is a hvy spear, 9/16 is a tad less, but performance wise it does better than 3/8...Riffes tempering is very consistent, but if you wanna save some $$$ go with Ray Odor shafts (pins instead of fins and a doghouse, but it works all the same and less $$$). Riffe is a good trig mech and the auto reset on the line is sweet- thats why I went with poseid's trigg, which "supposedely' was easy to install-not-you definitely need to have the jigs to get it right the first time, and then some...luckily wood is forgiving- good luck with the build!
I alreadt had 3/8 spear so i used it, but it is kinda ridiculuos, (i think you could freeshaft well , it is too heavy for most fish to swim off with!! Ray Odor shafts fit in Riffe trigs? or i need his trigger too?What is a doghouse? WOW I just asked you a bunch of ques. on other thread too, sorry, i am a little obsessive about this stuff.

I alreadt had 3/8 spear so i used it, but it is kinda ridiculuos, (i think you could freeshaft well , it is too heavy for most fish to swim off with!! Ray Odor shafts fit in Riffe trigs? or i need his trigger too?What is a doghouse? .[/quote

Yes riffe/ray odor will work just specify it to him, doghouse is a half circle that sits in front of the fins, to which you crimp your line to hold the shaft (takes the place of the hole in the fin) dip into his site you'll see what I mean- Spear Fishing Supplies by Ray Odor Ray's a swell guy he'll take good care of you tell him SettingSteel sent you.

WOW I just asked you a bunch of ques. on other thread too, sorry, i am a little obsessive about this stuff.[/quote

Better to ask than to err, glad to help

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT