• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I knocked my teeth out! (Pics included)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

adamkwebb

Feb 10, 2018
First time pelagic fishing with a tuna gun, took aim, pulled the trigger and bonk, pushed my teeth in. Has anyone else done something like this? I would sure feel a lot better knowing I’m not the only one lol.

IMG_2918.jpeg
IMG_2922.jpeg
IMG_3283.jpeg
IMG_3266.jpeg

I've come close with a big mid-handle I shoot (the one in my avatar). After a couple of shots with that thing feels like I've been in a car wreck, hurt all over.

Gnarly dude! With my 82cm gun i don’t have much of a risk of doing the same! Lol!

Ouch! A friend of mine knocked a front tooth out years ago with an Alexander Blue Water. Another guy laughed at him when he posted in a forum, but then he ended up splitting his upper lip wide open so that you could see his teeth using the same model gun. But that gun was notoriously under weight for the shaft and bands it used. And a few times when I didn't get a chance to lock my elbow before the shot, my Riffe Island hit me very hard in the chin and would probably have knocked a tooth out if it had been higher. I sold it.

Of course locking your elbow is essential with big mid handled guns.

In general, if a gun has too much recoil, I'd say that it it has insufficient mass for the its shaft and bands. The gun in the photo looks pretty stout though. Maybe using one less band would help. Or if its using a 3/8" shaft, try using a 11/32" or 5/16" shaft. If a gun recoils that much, its rotating around the resistance of your hand and is going to be inaccurate anyway.

Looking at your monster gun, I wonder how your head is still attached, shoulda flown right off.

I have been "touched" by the butt of my speargun, no injuries but rather painful. Aside from spearguns, I have had a "scope bite" from my jungle carbine, and had a split upper lip from my 20ga shotgun. Shotgun had a folding stock, and when I saw grouse I didn't want to waste time unfolding and shouldering, simply lined up sights and, boom! bird flies one way and I fall over the other way.

I also had one instance, years (decades) ago, when harpoon line snagged and sprung the spear back into my face. Back tip of the spear penetrated my mask, made nice round hole. I was lucky it didn't take my eye out or anything dramatic. I remember small pieces of glass in my eyes and mask slowly being filled with water.

I hope this made you feel better, believe me, shit happens and you are not alone.

..wow, that really hurts just looking at it. hope you feeling better and things could be fixed.
..may i ask what you was shooting at ?

Yup, but lucky for me I was SCUBA diving so my regulator saved my teeth, I got a fat lip and knocked my mask off at 100' down. scared the hell out of me. I did manage to retrieve the huge lingcod at the end of my line after I sorted everything out. By the way hows your teeth?

Update! Teeth are great now! Got oral surgery to move them back in place then four root canals after that! So I got four zombie teeth now. Apparently you can just have dead teeth in your mouth your whole life lol.

thats sucks. i got a bloody nose back in the day from a eurogun...if it was a tuna gun i can imagine it wouldve broke.

Update! Teeth are great now! Got oral surgery to move them back in place then four root canals after that! So I got four zombie teeth now. Apparently you can just have dead teeth in your mouth your whole life lol.

How much did it cost to fix you up? $$$

It's like $200 for a check-up over here. I'd imagine your surgery costed many moneys

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT