• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

i need to get started. but how to??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

angweekiong

Dec 8, 2005
hey guys,
i recently just got know to freediving. you see i was a bubbler in the past and so many a time i wish i can fin around in the deep blue freely.

yea, straight to the point. i don't know how and where to start off. i been tryin to do co2 table and o2 table like 3 days ago, and my pb is 2.40 mins. i really wanted to extend my apnea time to like 4 mins. but is it possible?? i mean will it take like ages to reach my goal??
can anyone guide me, show me the ropes?? :cool:

oh yea, btw i'm currently in singapore, just wonderin if there's any freediver in the country

Hi,

After a very good course of Apnea here in Venezuela, the best help i could find was the Humberto Pelizzari's Manula of Freediving. It is very complete and guides you through the complete experience. The exercices section is more than ok to help any one, specialy beginners, to improve their skills.....

Of course other source of knowledge an experience has been this forum. The right place to find valuable information.

Regards,
Sigi...

hi,

quote "...i mean will it take like ages to reach my goal??"

what's ages? are you in a particular rush? then your progress is already limited from the very start.

take it easy, don't force it, learn

...and enjoy!

roland

:)

yea i admit, i was envious to see result in the first place. :duh
anyhow back here in singapore, i dont think there's much free diving information, but at least i have this forum right??

anyway i reached my pb of 3min yesterday. :) ( to think back at times when i was struggling to hold 1min30 sec of breath)

As I feel apnea, it is a matter of patience. As more calm and focus you are, the most you will get from the experiences. Push your self progressively and you will get to know your self and improve your skills as a freediver.

yea i think calm is the keypoint. anyway i'm so depressed :waterwork cant't find anyone with the same freediving interest with me.

anyway what's the best way to train for dynamic apnea? does co2 table works?? cause i felt that the co2 table is not very taxing on me.are we suppose to feel strained or relaxed after doin the table?

hi,

quote:"cant't find anyone with the same freediving interest with me."

there are a few thousand people registered on this forum ;)

best training for dynamics is doing dynamics. focus on technique development and relaxation. swim very slowly and controlled. be weighted properly. be relaxed, avoid unnecessary tension, especially in the upper body, and focus on clean fin movement. what's the slowest you can dive from one side to another (whatever distance you can EASILY dive)? how many fin kicks do you do? that says something about your kicking efficiency.
do all water based training ALWAYS with a freediving buddy! know and practise safety and rescue procedures (use the search function here)! breathe very slowly before a dive (3-4 breaths a minute max). be well rested and take proper breaks between dives. only dive for as long as you are comfortable. you want to improve relaxation and technique. both suck when you run out of oxygen. distance is secondary. try making it to the pool twice a week, do that for 4 weeks and then compare how you do then to how you do now.

regarding dry statics: sit comfortable (no need for a buddy) and relaxed in a way that you don't need to move around (that's very important! )for 45 min . breathe slowly for 15 minutes while conncentrating on muscle relaxation. then do 5 statics until the beginning of contractions. take a 3-4 minute break in between. note down these times. do that 3-4 times a week for 2 weeks and see how your first attempts compare to your last attempts. try to do that always at the same time of the day. don't eat for 3-4 hours before. the goal is to practise muscle relaxation and learn something about your bodies sensations. also you will see a developing pattern when you compare the time you get contractions (co2 tolerance).

more stuff in a few weeks.

that's just some ideas.

cheers,

roland

woah. tt's loads of great information!! thanks alot! really, this is by far the grreatest christmas present i recieve. :p

angweekiong said:
oh btw, is yoga recomended?? heard that its pretty useful to relax, but how do we go about doin it?

Best suggestion is to join a begineer yoga class. Tell your teacher that one of your main reasons for taking the class is to learn to relax.
One drill or way to learn to relax is to do dives in cold dark water. Once you learn to become comfortable in cold and dark water you will be comfortable in most water.

oh yea. cold water normally cause ppl to panic and lose your mind right. anyone can kindly pass me some links to some freediving videos?? thanks a zillion

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT