• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

i only have 3.75 4 litre lungs should i just forget about free diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

maltaspearo

Aug 2, 2003
my lung volume is very small 3.75-4 litres what can i expect with this small lung volume if i train hard .and what kind of training should i do. i think the leaner i am the better consideing i am fairly muscular.musle does consume 02 doesnt it.

last week i managed to do a 2.15 minut dive at 10 meters doing aspetto .i was very happy with that but i only managed to do it once.i must have been breathig in a way that was good .but i never managed to do this again.i dont understand what i did to accomplish that dive .i know it doesnt sound like much but with my small long volume i am happy.or can i do better even though i have small lungs

Don't worry about your satic -now-remember everything take time -work now with what you have if is-2 o 3 minutes..you have to create a foundation first until you go to the next step--freediving is a combination of a lot of things that you will obtain litle by litle.

you can be a good freediver--I tell you more Is no only to have a good static-I now people that have a 6-7 and on static and they can't do much with it -because they don't have a good swiming tecnique ect..

keep the good work.

Daniel.

Last edited:
MaltaSpearo, don't be discouraged with 2:15, our dive club considers that to be a good dive. Most of my dives are under 2 minutes. Regarding your 3.75L lung capacity, what is your weight? Maybe your total cell count (billions) does not require more than 3.75L. I think it's all about proportions.

Jim

hi

Suppose there is a guy that has a 6 minutes static- and does a dinamic no fins with a bad breastroke and doing unnecessary movement.and he needs 9 stroke to reach the 25 meters.that guy is spending all the oxygen in his body .

Suppose there is a guy that has 3 minutes static but have a good breastroke and take care of every movement he does and he takes him 4 stroke to get the 25 meter -that guy is saving all the oxygen he need to do a better perform

did you see the different is no the lung capacity but what we do with that capacity and with everything we need to have a better perform.

"David tumbo al gigante con una honda"

saludos

Daniel.

Last edited:
Remember that Sebastien Murat has reached insane depths on passive exhalations (FRC = functional residual capacity). I have tried some of these and gone quite deep -- taking only 3 or 4 litres of air down with me. Remember that the less air you take with you, the less buoyancy shift there is. With a smaller lung capacity, it is very important to dive with a very thin wetsuit, or better yet, no wetsuit. People with small lung volumes will have a much harder time diving in a 7mm wetsuit than someone with a large lung volume.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

hi jersy joe thanks for your help my weight right now is 82 kgs or
182 lbs .when i am at top form i weigh 68 kgs or 150 lbs but that with only about 6 % body fat i am way out of shape right now but will be in top form in a couple months time. i am 5 8 tall and lung capacity of almost 4 litre without packing. 2.15 static at 10 meters deep.

thank you eric fattah i didnt know that about the wet suit. recently i tryed browsing your web site but it doesnt seem to be working properly.is there a problem with it or do i have a problem with my pc.id have tonns of things i would like to ask you but i dont know where to start. breath up, how to do packing properly .hyperventilation etc.also what are the benifits of doing negatives.im afraid to do them lol!!! especially when i am diving on my own.anyway thanks for your help .

ps say hello to canada for me its been a long time since i left toronto.
you should come to malta for a while and give free diving courses for a while. no where do learn free diving here in malta. all i know i learned by my self and from this forum. palazarri was in malta for a month about 2 years ago and did a course .most of the good spearfishermen in malta took his course when he was here. and there are a few very good free divers here.but beleive it or not none of them will give you any advice on free diving all they know they keep to them selves thats mostly why i dive alone.anyway talk to you later and tanks

The lung size has nothing to do with it!!! (With freediving I mean:) )

Hi Maltaspearo,

beleive it or not none of them will give you any advice on free diving

You should contact Chris (from Aquatica; 54 Toni Bajada Str.; St. Paul's Bay). He is an instructor of Pelizzari's Apnea Academy. He also trains the maltese spearo team and the maltese freediving team. (At least he did that 2 years ago...)

Cheers
Uli

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT