• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I said I wouldn't do it,but I couldn't resist.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ajwaverider

Jan 3, 2004
This is a few pics of a small project i've been working on .I was not going to post any pics till I was done but couldn't wait . This is a titanium railgun .The overall length is 52", it fires a 5/16" shaft powered by three 9/16" bands .The muzzle is a Defo custom open muzzle with three holes for
bands and also sports band stabilizers.The trigger mech is a Efrain delrin custom.The gun also has a forward line release ,an idea from Gilbert.I
didn't take a pic of the line release because I want to redo a part for it .I made the part of the line release out of lexan but I had to taper it quite a bit where the pushrod holds it close and I don't feel to good about it's durability.I have some 1/8th stainless flat bar and a plazma cutter on the way to cut out the part.

Enjoy ;)

Attachments

• Pict0019.JPG
    Pict0019.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 303
  • Pict0020.JPG
    Pict0020.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 316
Looking good AJ :) How did you make the rail? We (well my husband) would like to se that line release ;)

Alison .I didn't make the rail ,it's trueglide track that jbl puts on there guns.I'll post some pics of it when I finish it.I was going to wait till I get the plasma cutter but I just thought about it's on back order till april and march is the next month not april.
I guess i'm trying to make spring hurry up and get here.

Looks good man. It seams like you got a perfect finish on that fiberglass handle stock. Did it come out that well or is it just the photo. I might need the name of the primer you used :), or are you just more fond of sandpaper than me. How is the handle joined to the barrel? Also based on my rabi 120 I think you'd love that thing w/ a single 3/4" band in lieu of three 9/16". I don't know how much mass you have to offset the recoil of three bands and a 5/16 shaft :blackeye. but while your waiting for that plasms cutter, and seeing as you have three band slots, might as well get wet and do some target practice. Just be sure to have your snorkel in and have your elbow locked until you know how it will handle, or haven't I told you about the time I lost a tooth and had to give myself a couple of stiches in my lip in the middle of nowhere, Baja :blackeye.

Chris,Glad you like it.I tried using paint that was made for plastic ,bad idea. That kind of paint contains acetone to make it bond to plastics but fiberglass doesn't seem to like it .The brand of primer is duplicolor high build primer(autozone).I primed it real good and then used 600grit sandpaper and wet sanded it.I used the same brand clear coat and it's kind of soft.A barrel plug was installed 9" from rear end of the barrel and I filled the end with epoxy/microballon/glass fibers,Then I machined the spot for the trigger mech.The screws for the handle go thru the ti tube into the epoxy. I was going to wait to get the plasma cutter to cut the line release but i'm going to grind it into shape.If your going to use Jbl track on your hybrid ditch the adhesive and use 5 minute epoxy.I thought the track was on good and all of a sudden the back end came off. I used 5 minute epoxy and almost goofed on that too.It really helps to have a second pair of hands.I'm thinking of making another muzzle with a different band holes but I could just build another gun completely.Does mass have anything to do with weight or just size/surface area?The gun weighs 4.5 pounds without shaft and 5 with it.I was trying to figure out the amount of flotation in the barrel.The 2lb foam has the highest flotation off all pour foams at 60 pouds per sqft.If 1sqft=60lbs then .5sqft =30lbs .Does that seem right to you ?Anyway I need to get to the testing phase so I can see if it's balanced right.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT