• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I wear glasses and need masks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
S

Saloooh91

Are there any masks out there that let me wear my glasses while diving ?
I mean wearing mask over glasses.

There would be way too much volume in a mask that allowed you to do that. You need to be able to have a tight seal all the way around. There are three options...and I wore glasses for years before my Lasiks.

A prescription mask. Here's a link to one of many prescription mask sellers: https://www.divegearexpress.com/essentials/diveritemasks.shtml

Contact lenses: I would recommend disposable, single-use lenses. If you lose one, then no big deal or great loss, pop another one in.

Depending on your prescription strength, Gauge Readers: http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-54/Masks-Mask-Accessories.html

Good luck and safe diving!

you basically get prescription Lens for your masks. while they look a bit goofy, they work well. just take your prescription to your local Diving Store and they'll be able to sort it out for you.

or you can take your mask to your opticians and sometimes they know what they are doing.

Regards,

No. The diving industry considers that a safety hazard. Instead, they make lenses for your mask. You replace the factory lenses with prescription lenses. Most well stock dive shops carry the most common power replacement lenses. The erpieces of your glasses won't allow your mask skirt to seal, and even if it did, you;d probably find the pressure of the scuba mask on the nose piece and the lenses of a diver's glasses would cause them to grind uncomfortably onto your face.

I wear glasses but found my vision was good underwater. Sometimes, depending on your vision, you won't need glasses underwater, the refraction of the light thru the water acts as a lens.

Are there any masks out there that let me wear my glasses while diving ?
I mean wearing mask over glasses.
If the standard corrective lenses that are commonly available don't work for you you can remove the arms off an old pair of glasses and simply put the lenses in their frames inside the mask you use, I did this for years until I found a shop that actually uses your prescription and manufactures it and installs the lenses in the mask that you have shipped to them.

I changed to daily disposable contact lenses and it is a game changer! A bugger to put in (I wear glasses normally and only contacts for diving) but you can see so much better than faffing around with fitting old glasses lenses into masks.
Also when you take the mask off for walking in/out of a dive you can see properly too.
It's cheap to try and well worth it.
Have been surfing with them and they don't wash out/ fall out.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT