• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ice diving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hypoxiajunkie

May 14, 2004
As I understand some people do ice diving and record the results - but AIDA does not recognize ice diving.

So how does that work?

I ask because I am extremely cold resistant so if I were to ever become competitive in freediving it would be in ice diving (dynamic).

Ideas?

Guinness records does accept ice diving categories, for depth and distance. The current records:

- Dynamic apnea under ice, no wetsuit, no fins: 188'6" = 57.4m with samba/blackout (Wim Hof, netherlands)
- Constant weight under ice, with wetsuit, 45m with blackout, Kike Curavic (croatia/norway)

With Guinness you can samba/blackout and it still counts.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

That's pretty interesting! Could you therefore claim to be a world champion freediver on the basis of owning the Guinness record? If the answer is yes, it effectively introduces yet another agency that could potentially ratify the other freediving disciplines as well.

Andy

Wim Hof was on TV the other day... for a program to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Guiness World Records, he remained naked (apart from swimming trunks) in a huge tank filled with ice cubes for 68mins.

68mins in the tank of ice is impressive, but i'm less impressed with 57m dynamic under ice without fins with a samba/blackout.

btw - Steve Truglia, UK no limits record holder was also on the show. he's a professional stunt man and did a world record fastest 100m abseil in about 9 seconds! basically went into vertical freefall sliding down a rope!

Under the guinnes book of world records you could probably use drugs, I doubt if they require doping tests, since it's made for freaks rather than athletes.

And I'm not sure that dying would disqualify you either. Might win a darwin award as well while you're at it. ;)

*Not saying that guinnes records are to be disrespected, just pointing a problem and taking it a bit further.

Originally posted by Alun
Wim Hof was on TV the other day... for a program to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Guiness World Records, he remained naked (apart from swimming trunks) in a huge tank filled with ice cubes for 68mins.

68mins in the tank of ice is impressive, but i'm less impressed with 57m dynamic under ice without fins with a samba/blackout.

btw - Steve Truglia, UK no limits record holder was also on the show. he's a professional stunt man and did a world record fastest 100m abseil in about 9 seconds! basically went into vertical freefall sliding down a rope!

68 minutes is actually frickin' amazing, since he cannot move his body to generate heat. I would love to learn his techniques.

I am sure he is focussing more on temperature than distance.

Remember though, everything looks easy till we try it. Great people make the impossible look easy.

I think moving your body in such tempratures would only make you lose heat faster.

Last edited:
I assume the 68 minutes was on 'Guinness PrimeTime?' I'd like to see that one, did anyone catch it on tape?
I think his old record was 66 minutes, with a body temp of 35.5C.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

yes, that's right, they said his old record was 66mins. it was all filmed in the UK so i'm not sure if you'll get to see it over in the US or Canada...

Just for the record, Kike Curavic did 50m CW under ice last april,
beating his old world record of 47m. not many divers use this kind of training.

Originally posted by efattah
- Constant weight under ice, with wetsuit, 45m with blackout, Kike Curavic (croatia/norway)

I'm not sure for the last april and 50m but 45m in his 2th attempt he did without blackout

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT