• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ice finally cleared!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fondueset

Carp Whisperer
Jul 27, 2004
Well, finally the ice cleared at one of our spots. Not much u/w life - a spunky little diving duck who seemed to say 'well, I'm goin' over there right now; but I'll be back!!' but not much else. Air and water were both fairly chilly so I concentrated on fin sprints. My buddy spotted some bambage on the far breakwall so I walked out to the end of the inner wall and while I was out there a guy on the marina fuel dock whistled and pointed out a snow owl sitting on the end of the dock. Felt great to get in the water again after a few weeks.

Heres a webcam that shows the bay - we dove at the west marina which is about 2 miles away at roughly 45 degrees.
West Bay Webcam

Last edited:
Ice or no ice, that looks like a beautiful place to be.
Thanks for sharing.

A deer AND a goose!....:p

Nice pics! :) All my local spots are still "locked up" with Ice

Great pics Chris. Ice still thick on the lakes up here, Snowy Owls have gone back up North, and I saw 2 Canada Geese that just returned from the South on my river valley run today. By May the lakes will be open and we can get in up here.

Pretty sure that owl was shopping for goslings and/or signets. I've actually been doing fin sprints in a pool!! Its quicker on weekdays - but not by much.

Haven't heard the robins yet - but I can feel their menacing intent...the worms are already on alert

Beautiful pics!:) What are the Water / Air temps in your area?
Here in SoCal (at the LA / Ventura County line) we are a bit cooler than usual: Air 54f / Water 51f.

Went again yesterday - air was about 40f - water 36-37F. We ran into these fellers - Gizzard Shad. Several schools of 5-7 and a few wandering individuals. They liked us as much as we liked them and schooled right up with us. They are generally between 10-15 inches long and I've seen schools of hundreds. I have a feeling there were more around but wasn't sure where to look. Also saw a whitefish, a carp and a few smallmouth bass napping on the bottom. Spring is in the air! Wind changed today and the same spot was locked in with ice.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT