• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ice Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Last thing we do before we leave is to mark the hole with signs to warn others. By next weekend it will be frozen up solid again.

Jon

Last edited:
Excellent Jon!! Thanks so much. I'll use that system exactly when I eventually get to the ice diving! It's been postponed, last Saturday due to work, (I managed to get a dive in in Key Largo while 'working'! :D ) and this Saturday due to lack of a buddy... :(

I like the idea of leaving the bottom weight just off the bottom so I don't silt it all up when I drag the line around.

I'll get some pics on if I can.... presuming it dosn't get delayed again! Friggin Valentines day on a Saturday.... I mean isn't it nice that valentine's is on a Saturday this year? :inlove !!

Aaron

Ted made it today so we did dual ropes- we each had our own.

In case of a problem I could have reached him, but if anything really happened I owuld just to the surface people to haul in the lines- like we do for the scuba divers.

The water was dark, but still clear enough for me to see Ted on the bottom while I floated on the surface.

Jon

Last edited:
Here's a shot of Ted on the bottom. The wrist lanyard is tied-off to the line and he can even move it out from the hole because the weights are a few feet off the bottom.

Jon

Last edited:
Since Ted came along I acutally have some shots of me diving- for a change.:cool:

Right now he working on putting together some of the video clips that we shot.

Jon

Last edited:
There's not a lot in the way of fish life, but I did find this small mudpuppy when I was down there. Some years we find them as big as 18" long, but this guy was less than 5".

Jon

Last edited:
Here's a neat shot that Ted got of me getting ready to go down.

You can see the scuba divers getting ready to take over our hole. We got a good hour of diving in before they finally got their gear together and made it out to the dive site. We made a short day of it since we had to be back home before noon, but in the end we got more than double the dive time of the bubble blowers and still made it out of there before they went in for a second dive.:D

Freediving is one sweet sport.;)

Jon

Last edited:
Here's the surface. You can see the ice shanty in the back ground that we use to store extra gear, and hot water, in.

When we got to the lake this morning we had to chainsaw back through the ice again because it had frozen solid over night. As a a matter of fact, the ice was stable enough to drive a 4-wheeler over that hole and it wouldn't have budged.

Jon

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT