• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ice freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Like jon said, we had a great time. I don't think the weather could have been any better than it was. This was my first real freedive under the ice and wasn't nearly as graceful as Jon was, but I guess we all start out feeling a bit clumsy at first and it just gets better from there. I did try icediving (SCUBA) about 17 years ago an have no desire to do it again but I'm sure I'll freedive under the ice again (the complications of the SCUBA equipment, lines, getting in and out of the hole, seem to take a lot of fun out of it).

Wish I was there!

Kinda cool to see Jitka again through your camera lense Jon. Just before sitting down to my computer I was thinking about Tobermory, diving there and how badly I want to get up there again soon. While I was thinking about it I was thinking about your picture of "Jitka's Mono" on the Sweepstakes. (super classic shot btw) Thinking to myself that that picture must've been taken in late Aug. or Sept. to get water temps warm enough for her to dive without a suit and still look so comfy in the water. Now after seeing her choice of tanning weather I have no idea when the shot might've been taken!!

All the best from Toronto,
Aaron

Last edited:
Your right, we were diving up there the end of August. I remember the water was warm enough for swimming suits all the way down to about 62'. Bleow that it got very cold (4C) very quick! Above that it was wonderful for both deco and freediving.

The photos taken at last weekends ice dive, where the air temps were close to 50 degrees F, weren't really as far out as they seem. The warm weather, can you say Global warming ;), really made it nice to ice dive in.

Tomorrow we're expecting a big storm with over 6 inches of snow, and maybe even some rain, mixed in- which isn't so fun to dive in.

I'd love to get back up to Tobermorey as well. How often do you guys get up there? I can't imagine a much better place to freedive on shipwrecks- since they all start in 20' and go on down the slope until they reach 90'-150'. The good vis and warm urface temps, at the end of summer, certainly help as well. The fact that it sits on the end of a penninsula tneds to help out with the wind and being able to find calm water no matter what. Might be a good place to run a regional comp?

Here's a few more misc shots form the area.

Jon

Last edited:
island_sands said:
well she's got my vote!! we need more spunky girls on DB!! I think it's time that Donna, Iceselkie, Veronica... posted their bikini pics! Alison and I have already done ours! lol!

What's that ? bikini pics.When was this?

John . Nice pics! The one with you (i guess) looking up at the opening in the ice looks like a big green snowflake

Indeed it would be a great place to hold a regional comp! However we would need a boat, something we considered when looking into a regional here in the Toronto area.

I get up there as much as I can when it's warm enough to dive, and still more when it's not. Last year we freedove the Niagara II a couple times, definately a highlight. Got to talk to lots of scuba divers there who showed an intrest in freediving after word got out that we'd been freediving that wreck. I went out on a couple scuba charters as well to reach some of the other wrecks, although I really prefer the simplicity and lack of restrictions of a shore dive. One of the things we plan on doing this year is freediving the Arabia (just to say we did it!) as well as chartering a boat for freedivers for a day, presuming we get enough divers.

A great destination indeed. I feel fortuneate to live in reasonable proximity to such fabulous diving!

Aaron

WOW
I am so totally impressed by these pics (I just LOVE ice diving pics, thank you for sharing)!

..still wanna see a pic of me in a bikini too hey? LOL I promise I will post them someday soon (when I get a good one :eek: ) but for now, these pics are just superb, simply inspiring!

is anyone ice freediving in europe? I wanna do that! Alun how did you get on in Sweden?

S

Just picked up this thread again!! Me in a bikini - not likely!! :)

I'd like to ice dive too but there's no ice in Cyprus!!

would love to - but I have to work at London dive show that weekend : (

I saw those awesome pictures and was inspired. I went to a lake in Idaho, took my camera,made a hole, and jumped in. It was great! There hasn't been any snow this year so the ice was clear. It was a beautiful sunny day. I had the surreal feeling that I was in a house with a glass roof. Thanks for the inspiration!

Attachments

• UnderIce.jpg
    UnderIce.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 118
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT